Vcr

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by steve k, Jan 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Anyone know where i can get a akai vcr repaired took my akia vcr to Miller brothers to get it repaired under the guarantee that i took out but they said that akia went bust so cannot get it repaired.
    If akai went bust why do they sell akai TV's in comet :confused:

2. jamiesneddon

jamiesneddon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because comet suck.

3. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Miller bros have to honour the gaurentee.Period.

4. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Millers couldn't get it repaired so they gave me the insurance money back but thats left me without my vidio just woundered if there was anyone out there that could fix it :thumbsup:

So that means the insurance cover isnt worth taking out if 2 or three years down the line they can't fix it :thumbsdow

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Steve,

When you say Millers gave you your insurance money back, do you mean they paid out for the price of the VCR, or just refunded your premium?

If the former, then you're quids in, because VCR's are now cheaper than 3 years ago. :clap:

If they've returned your premium then that doesn't sound right. :thumbsdow

It will depend on the small print, but I doubt that they can duck out of their obligation that easy.

As for getting your Akai repaired, VCR's are so cheap now that a lot of repairers won't touch them.

6. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    they refunded the premium thats all, i was gutted they couldn't fix it cuz it was a brill VCR

7. AntF

AntF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you got back at least the value of a new vid and you are happy with that, I think they are pulling a fast one. If the vid cannot be fixed then they should have to replace the product - the small print should explain more I guess - but to just refund the premium and say "tough" defeats the whole reason for insurance. Taken to an extreme, if you pay out £100 for warranty and they cannot fix a £500 telly then they are better off refunding the £100. Are you satisfied with their refund? If not I would call trading standards.

8. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    i bet there has to be someone out there who cud fix it

9. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Of course it can be fixed.

The problem is whether it can be fixed economically. :lesson:

With even the top of range VCR's now around £100, and the basic models considerably less, who's going to pay someone a living wage to repair it?

Better to buy a new one with 12 months guarantee. :clap:

Getting back to your insurance, as AntF said, they can't get away with just refunding your premium. :devil:

Definately a job for Trading Standards. :mad:

10. jamiesneddon

jamiesneddon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,666
    Miller's warranty T&Cs are here. It does state clearly that unavailability of spare parts will terminate the policy with a refund of the fee paid.

However, I think the legality of this would hinge on whether they actually attempted the repair & found the necessary parts unavailable or didn't bother in the first place as Akai are no longer trading in the UK. Akai are alive & well in Europe though & many common VCR components are readily available from a number of 3rd party sources, so it may well be the parts are available.

Perhaps the starting point would be to write to Miller & ask them to confirm which part was required to repair your VCR & what steps they made to aquire it. If they name a part, you can then check with an independent repairer whether this part is actually available. If they haven't even attempted the repair then they can't possibly know whether the part was available or not. In which case you may have a legitimate claim against the insurer. Not being a legal expert, you may have already compromised you position by accepting the refund of the policy fee.

As with all such correspondence, recorded delivery to their head office is probably favorite.