1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCR with S-Video Out

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Azrikam, Oct 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may be a completely stupid question, but cabling is definitely one of my weak points.

Is it common, or even possible to get a VCR with an S-Video Out connection? Basically, I've got some old NTSC videos that I want to convert to digital format. I've got a WinTV-Theatre card with S-Video in. My old NTSC VCR just recently died, so I was looking to pick up a cheap box to convert the tapes. I was going to do the audio as a separate process, so that doesn't really matter.

Should I even bother with S-Video Out, or get some sort of convertable scart cable?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    The only VCR's that will have an S-Video port are SVHS VCR's. No standard VHS VCR's will.

www.maplin.co.uk
    Product code: QM52G
    SVHS-Phono Adaptor £4.99inc
    Converts s-video to composite or vice versa. Simply connect in line. Composite end has single phono (RCA) socket, S-VHS end has 4-pin miniDIN socket.
    · Bi-directional conversion
    · Gold-plated connections
    · Compact and easy-to-use

You will need something like the above product to convert a standard composite lead to S-Video so you can capture to your PC with a standard VHS VCR. Without this the picture will be in B&W.

SVHS will give a better PQ, but this is obviously down to the quality of the origional footage.

Mark.

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The original tapes are in pretty rough shape, so SVHS would probably be wasted.

Thanks for the converter info. I'll pick one of those up and look for a low-end NTSC compatible VCR. (I've already got a good PAL machine)