VCR Tuning Problem

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Simon6776, Nov 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi, I wonder if someone could help? Apologies for any vagueness, but hopefully this might be more of a generic problem, than model specific. Anyway, here goes:-

My cousin has a Sharp VCR. It's about 4 or 5 years old, and is a fairly wide model, with a roundish display panel, and a multi coloured remote control! That probably isn't much help, but the problem is that the VCR will no longer receive BBC1. It will receive all other channels OK, but although the tuner seems to find the BBC1 channel, it comes up as a blank screen. They recently connected a Freeview box to the VCR, via scart 2, and thought this may have been the cause, so have disconnected the Freeview box, but the problem remains. The VCR is connected to the TV via scart, and the TV receives all channels fine. Is it possible for a VCR tuner to suddenly fail to receive just one channel? If anyone has any ideas, I would gratefully receive them. I can find out the model number if it would be any use.

Thanks folks!

Edit:- Model number:- VC-MH722HM

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,904
    Possible cause: Something else (eg the freeview box) has its RF output set to the same UHF channel number as your broadcast BBC1. Solution: change the RF output on whatever's causing it (eg the Freeview box).

3. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks, I thought that too, but the Freeview box has been disconnected. :(

4. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,874
    It may just be that the BBC1 signal is too weak for the VCR's liking. Check the BBC transmitter page here in case your local BBC1 is on reducued power. Also check that the RF fead from the aerial has been removed from the Freeview box & is going straight into the VCR.

5. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'll be going to look at things tomorrow, so I'll let you know the outcome.