1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCR to Video Camera

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Newboy, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Newboy

Newboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying to edit a film on an E180 by copying first to mini DV and then via firewire to the computer. Problem is the connection between VCR and video camera.
    Camera is Canon MV630i, VCR is Toshiba something or other with a single scart on the back.
    I have a cable which goes from the AV socket of the camera to 3 phono plugs. These are then plugged into a switchable scart converter. Theoretically the signal should come out of the scart plug, up the cable and into the camera - but the camera does not detect any incoming signal.
    It is DV in enabled, and have followed the instructions from Canon, but this will not work.
    Any ideas?

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check your scart socket is switched to 'out' not 'in'.

in your camcorders menu setting (in VCR mode) go into VCR SETUP, the bottom option should be AV IN -DV or similar, switch this to on and you should be there.

3. Newboy

Newboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried that. The VCR options do not show up the AV IN msg on the screen, have only seen that when recording back from the computer to the camera - would that indiacte a fault?

4. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine does the same, dv-in from pc but not from vcr, im thinking might be somet to do with the channel setup on vcr?

Also would like help on this

5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newboy / Centurion

Are you sure the scart on your VCR gives composite out - (or any signal out for that matter) some scarts do not have output pins connected - can you connect the scart direct to your TV and see if that works ? Do you have to select 'Scart out' - from your remote control for instance

Does your VCR only have one scart or does it have two - if two try using the other scart - some VCR's with two scarts have one fully connected but the other is IN only - and is often marked 'Decoder' or 'Satellite' or something like that and is only supposed to connect to a set top box to accept a signal.

6. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

7. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    You don't want to get a cable with an S-Video connector as your VCR will only output a composite signal. For a lot less than $24.95 (guess that to be around £14) you can get:

www.maplin.co.uk
    product code: L85BA
    £9.99

You will then need a basic 3 phono lead to connect from the converter to the camcorder. The above will also work in the other direction so you can record back to a VCR from the cam as the converter has a direction switch. If you later get an S-VHS VCR or a DVD recorder with S-Video input this converter will also allow you to us an S-Video lead to get better quality pictures.

Mark.

9. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon the av socket on the camcorder is output only and as such you cannot input a signal to it. The terminal for DV is, on most models, input/output but then you can't get an analogue vcr to output a digital signal so it seems that you are snookered. If editing is something you will be doing a lot, you will probably benefit by getting a TV card for the pc and capture through that instead. Then you can edit the video and output it to a VCR .
    I hope this helps.

10. Centurion

Centurion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, personally I wont be using such hardware as I'm only interested in capturing from cam - pc via firewire and vice versa. All my editing is done in premiere then either put on dvd or sent back to dv tapes.

Thanks for the info tho, I'm sure the guy who posted the original thread will be chuffed