VCR to TVonics PVR Recording

Venturer Dave

Standard Member
I've had a scan through previoulsy asked questions but cannot see this one so here goes.

I have (quite an old) Sharp combined video recorder and DVD player that I want to copy some prerecorded video tapes from onto the TVonics DTR Z500 PVR that I have.

Is it possible and if so what connections do I have to make and do I need to tune the TVonics unit to recognize the VCR and how do I do that also.

I have previously tried to copy to dvd using a converter but have been very unhappy with the sound quality so thought this way might be better especially with 500Gb of storage to make use of.

MarkE19

I've had a scan through previoulsy asked questions but cannot see this one so here goes.
Well you couldn't have looked that hard (well I know the new search on the forum isn't that good as I've failed to find stuff I know is there :rolleyes: ) as this question often gets asked several times a week ;)
I want to copy some prerecorded video tapes
And even with the correct equipment setup you may still not be able to copy some of your tapes as they could have Macrovision protection. This is not on all prerecorded tapes, but it is on a fair few.
Is it possible and if so what connections do I have to make and do I need to tune the TVonics unit to recognize the VCR and how do I do that also.
The VCR will have an analogue only output and the PVR only has a digital RF tuner. So as Geofbob has already stated you can't do it with any Freeview PVR.
I have previously tried to copy to dvd using a converter but have been very unhappy with the sound quality so thought this way might be better especially with 500Gb of storage to make use of.
Well the quality from VHS was never that good to start with, but IMO the USB converters are normally far from great. A DVD recorder (with or without a HDD) will get you quality as good as it gets. Otherwise you will need to spend a fair bit more on the converter and get something like the Canopus ADVC-55, but you might want to sit down before you look at the price :eek:

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom