1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vcr to pc

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by stevetiler, Apr 18, 2005.

1. stevetiler

stevetiler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone,
    I'm sure you've all heard this question a thousand times!I've managed to burn to dvd all my dv camcorder tapes by using firewire/windows movie-maker/nero with good results.Now I want to do the same with my vhs tapes and I understand I need a anologue to digital convertor.I'm a bit confused as to the different tools for this as there seems to be so many.Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced convertor?Also can the firewire port be used for this or does it have to be usb2-is the quality as good?Your advice would be greatly appreciated!Thanks.

Steve

2. profisheruk

profisheruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fit a tv card to your pc.you can get one from pc world for around £25-£30.you then just plug your standard video player to card and record to your pc.then transfer it to dvd.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    There are many options for capture of analogue video. there are also as many differences in the price & quality.
    As stated you can add a £20-£30 TV card, a USB device or a firewire device. The TV cards are the best budget solution as USB can cause a fair few problems with lip sync & dropped frames etc. Your best option though is to either use a DV camcorder with AV-in enabled to do the conversion and then on to the PC via firewire, or if your cam does not have AV-in enabled you can buy a device such as the Canopus ADVC converters from around £150+ depending on the model. The firewire option should give the best possible results, but it will never be as good as a DV camcorder recording as the analogue recording will not be as good quality to start with.

Mark.

4. Slipperystevens

Slipperystevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  5. Epaminondas

Epaminondas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might help:
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,112029,pg,1,00.asp
    I bought the Avermedia DVD EZmaker 2.0 USB. Having finally sorted out cable connections from my old JVC GR-S88, through the device and into PC and soundcard breakout box, (I've lead the audio to bypass the device in fact, because my s'card has no mini-jack in, just phone plugs) and overcome driver problems (still not sure if they are resolved) I am getting a good quality capture. Not convinced by the bundled movie editing/burning s/ware though; the first burn to DVD an hour ago failed at the last hurdle - the software froze. And the website support pages are dreadful - broken links, icons that look like links but aren't, driver download wizards that seem to lead to the wrong driver (select "DVD EZmaker 2.0 USB", and you arrive at some TV driver download page). Pity, because the actual device seems to do a good job.
    I read somehere that MS moviemaker is very reliable, but i think it has no DVD burning software. I'm getting acquainted with it now.
    What is the Nero s/ware like? Does it recognise the .wmv files in Windows Moviemaker and transform them to whatever format is recognised on DVDs?
    (Plain to see I'm a novice at this, but I hope some of that helps!)

Epaminondas

6. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What Make/Model is your digital camera?, many now have real time conversion from av port(set to input) to DV output

7. stevetiler

stevetiler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My camcorder is a sony drc-trv14e-not sure if this has av in!In reply to Epaminondas I think Nero is great but I think you need to save your windows movie files to avi for Nero to recognise them-thats what I've been doing with no probs at all!Thanks for all the replies-useful info!

Steve

8. Epaminondas

Epaminondas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the Nero .avi tip Steve. I've now got the Avermedia/Ulead DVD Moviefactory2 SE to burn to DVD OK so will stick with that until I feel the need to seek greener pastures.
    Ep