VCR to PC - which video capture card can i use

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hello,

I realise there has been a few posts on this but none of them seem to apply due to different connections from the VCR.

I have some old VHS-C tapes i would like to convert to digital and put onto DVD, ive decided to do this with a VHS-C to VHS converter and then connect the VCR to the PC.

The problem ive seen so far is that most guides out there dont deal with the VCR's that i have.

I have 2 VCRs:

- one has either RF out (which i currently use to connect to tv) or audio and video out (one of each, im guessing mono audio).
- the other has RF out or scart

So from here i need to connect this to my PC, however all the tv tuner or capture cards ive looked at so far have s-video, 1 phono out and some other connections i have no idea about.

Can anyone provide a link to a video capture card/device and suitable cable that i could use to connect either of these VCR's to my pc?

:lease:

Greatly appreciated!

Most graphics cards that support video capture will have a composite video (CVBS) and stereo analogue audio inputs. You should be able to capture this and scale on capture to a 720 x 576 avi file that any dvd authoring software can use.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
- one has either RF out (which i currently use to connect to tv) or audio and video out (one of each, im guessing mono audio).
- the other has RF out or scart

all the tv tuner or capture cards ive looked at so far have s-video, 1 phono out and some other connections i have no idea about.

Also neither of the VCR's have composite or stereo analogue audio outputs.
Hi, just to clarify, the Yellow Video Out socket is for a CVBS or Composite Video signal.
The White socket is for Audio (Mono or Left Channel Stereo).
The Scart socket carries the Video Signal and Stereo Audio - both In and Out. (It can also be configured for S-Video, but that's not relevant for normal VHS)

If a Capture Device has a Yellow socket the same as the VCRs Video Out, that will be its Video In.
The S-Video socket carries separate Brightness and Colour signals, but if the Video Input is absent it is likely that the S-Video Brightness input can be configured to accept the Composite Video signal.

Whilst there may appear to be a large variety of capture devices, almost universally they will digitise Composite Video - the signal that any VCR can output.

MarkE19

What you need is something like This to be able to get the tapes onto your PC.
You can use either of your VCR's to connect up with a simple RCA video to RCA video lead plus a single audio RCA lead, or the other VCR with scart will hopefully have stereo audio and a scart to 3 RCA (yellow, red & white) lead will connect it up. Make sure you either get a lead that is switchable for direction or is wired the correct way as scart connection will be directional - something like This or an RCA to scart adapter like This and a standard 3 RCA cable such as This should do the trick.

Mark.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hey,

My graphics card doesnt support video capture, so i need to buy a seperate one.

Also neither of the VCR's have composite or stereo analogue audio outputs.

All vcrs have composite video and at least mono audio outputs. These signals are on the scart socket and accessible by a simple scart to phono converter.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom