1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCR to Panasonic DMREH60D recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jerryat, Sep 16, 2005.

1. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what connections/settings I need to enable me to record my VCR videos onto the HDD and then onto blank DVD's using the above recorder? Nothing I've tried will get the tape contents onto the HDD so that I can then burn the DVD's :confused:

The VCR is a Sony with a single scart socket that is, at the moment, connected to the only (scart) input on the Panny recorder and the panel is a Panny TX32LXD500.

I also have to fiddle around with the AV/TV buttons on the recorder/panel each time to even be able to view the VCR tape on the panel, which is the other problem! Maybe the two problems are linked?

Help needed Guys and Gals :lease:

Cheers Jerry

2. mobilenvidia

mobilenvidia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been doing some archiving of my Tapes.
    I'm using a Mitsubishi VHS, but I use the RCA in plugs on the Panny (EH60)
    This seems to work fine for me.
    You do ofcourse have to set the Panny to record from the AV input that you have the VHS connected to.

Don't touch the TV/AV buttons on the video as this is only for the RF output.
    If you need to use this then you are recording via the RF cable.
    You need to select the AV input (AV1 and 2 are the SCARTs) on the EH60 then you can record direct and with better quality.

The editing of the EH60 is great once you get used to the slow response of the remote.

Hope this helps.

3. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the tips Mobilenvidia. Sorry if this is basic, but all this is totally new to me so can I just clarify things?

I should try a scart/rca lead with the scart plugged into the vcr and the rca's to the recorder, but do I need three rca plugs at the end, or two? I've seen leads with 2 and 3 and don't want to buy the wrong one.

How do you set the Panny to record from the AV input? I can't seem to find the page in the instruction manual where it tells me how to do it, or any info about recording from a vcr. Have I missed/not understood something?!!

Thanks again for your trouble

Jerry

4. mobilenvidia

mobilenvidia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quality wise stick with SCART to SCART if you have them.
    The EH60 should have 2 SCART sockets AV1 and AV2.
    AV1 should be used if you have a SCART capable TV.
    AV2 should be used for Video or another device.

To select AV2, press the 'Input select' button on the remote until AV2 is displayed on the front panel or TV.
    Make sure the EH60 is set to 'HDD' to record direct to the HD.
    Now you can press play on a video and you should be able to see video playing.
    You can now at any point just press record on the EH60 and it will record to HD.
    When finished when 'stop' is pressed you can then press play on the EH60 and it will play the last thing you recorded.

You can even watch TV while recording from a tape to the HD, but that is for later.

Hope this gets you started.

5. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Mobilenvidia!

I'll stick to the scart/scart lead then and give it a go tonight. When I tried to record last time, a 'mini screen' appeared in the Direct Navigator, but there was nothing recorded when I tried to play it, just a blank screen!

I'll post here and let you know how it goes!!

Thanks again for the help,

Jerry

6. mobilenvidia

mobilenvidia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the Video playing on a full screen then just press record at any time.
    You don't need to be in Direct Navigator to record.
    In DN it will show a thumbnail as recording once started.
    You should be able to watch a previous recording whilst recording a current one.

Good luck :)

7. robert_cyrus

robert_cyrus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    but note, you wont be able to record from a pre-recorded vhs tape. (though i have done one, guess it didnt have copy protection).

pressing record on the eh60, a box pops up saying you cannot record from copy protected source material.

8. mobilenvidia

mobilenvidia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The EH60 must detect Macrovision enabled tapes.
    I think you can record by putting some leads from the video out to the video in on the EH60.
    But I assume you'd still get the light/dark video, it is after all illegal to copy protected video :)

9. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    It puzzles me why anyone should wish to record VHS tapes onto to the hard drive first and then re-record the same to DVD-R.

I have transferred many VHS tapes from the JVC vcr to the Panasonic E85 dvd recorder using the scart output
    of the vcr to the A3 input on the Panasonic E85 (which is the composite 3 x RCA phono plugs). It works perfectly every time. No need to worry about the quality as VHS tapes are of inferior quality to start with so nothing much is lost in the transfer. I certainly would NOT contemplate recording them to the HDD of the E85 first and then transferring to DVD-R. It sure is a time wasting method.

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    I've transfered a lot of VHS onto DVD using my E85 and for all but a few I put them onto the hard drive first. One reason was so that I could edit them before putting them onto a DVD but the main reason was that I made 2 copies of each for security purposes. Some I made a copy to RAM as well as -R. This would have taken twice as long had I not used the hard drive method.

11. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Royold,

Are you saying that I could record from the cassette straight onto a dvd disc? That is what I would much prefer to do rather than going the cassette/HDD/disc route although editing out adverts etc would be nice. I want the dvd's because I need to be able use them on my laptop when travelling away from home, and the storage space needed is so much less.

Mobilenvidia has been, and is still being, extraordinarily helpful in trying to sort me out re all the connections between my Panny TX32LXD500, the 60D and the Sony vcr I have. I'm still trying out his suggestions, but haven't got it sorted yet.

The problem is that I cannot record the tape to the HDD without the taped picture appearing on the screen, and only then if I have first pressed the AV button on the 60D remote. If I try to watch TV while thus recording, the tape 'signal' is cut off to the 60D, which happaily goes on recording nothing i.e. a blank screen appears on playback! Obviuosly there's something wrong with the coonections/programming of the units, and that's what I'm working through.

It's all very, very complex for a total newbie like me though!!

Cheers Jerry

12. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    mobilenvidia has given you the correct connecting advice. I am using the AV2 scart socket on my E85 recorder with a Freeview STB to record (and watch)
    freeview channels on the TV. To do this the dvd recorder input is set at A2 on the remote and the TV is set to its AV1 mode.

If you connect your vcr scart socket to the AV2 scart input socket on the dvd recorder, as stated by mobilenvidia, then you have connected it correctly.
    You need to then select A2 input on the dvd remote.

The dvd recorder A1 scart needs to be connected to the AV1 or AV2 scarts of your TV and whichever scart you have plugged this into (either AV1 or AV1) you need to select this input on your TV.

This should then show you the VHS tape being played in your vcr. As previously stated you can then record
    direct to a DVD-R or DVD-RAM or the HDD by inserting the appropriate disc and selecting the speed you require to record at (which must be at least LP for a three hour VHS tape) and press "record". I record all
    my VHS tapes on LP altho I could use the FR setting set to 3hrs5mins - the length of a 3 hour vhs tape. Sure you get the commercials in this way but I don't mind that. Takes too long editing them out on the HDD altho as JohnG says if you need two or more copies and editing then use the HDD first.

13. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Ah - I've just realised that your TV only has the one scart socket also. (This was the reason I wouldn't purchase a Panasonic TV some years ago - because it only had the one scart socket). I purchased a JVC instead which has three scart inputs which makes life so simple.

Ignore the para I gave in previous post about connecting dvd recorder to TV scart AV1 or AV2. You have no choice except to connect it to the one and only scart socket on the TV. This means that you only have the choice of TV/AV on your TV remote and to watch the dvd input (with the vcr input) you will need to set your TV to AV input.

My advice - purchase a new TV with several scarts. In this respect JVC and Toshiba easily outweigh the poor connectivity of the cheaper Sony and Panasonic TV's.

14. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Forget what I said about your TV. I have now checked the spec on Panasonic website. Use the A3 connection on your TV (S-Video + sound) to connect your dvd recorder.

15. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips Roy. I'll work through them tonight, see if the set-up works and post back here.

16. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I still cannot believe that your TV has only the one scart. The Panasonic website doesn't actually mention scart but it does list 21 pin input/output (which is scart)
    as Av1, Av2 and AV4. Any one of which would take your DVD recorder input. Doesn't seem to be any illustration of connections for this TV.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/lcd-tv/tx32lxd500/index.htm

17. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    I think he was saying that the recorder only has one scart not the television ? I've looked at the specifications on AVLand and it says there are 3 scarts on this TV. I thought there were 2 on the recorder though :confused:

18. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
  19. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
  20. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Royold and others!!

Wondered what was causing the confusion - then re-read my original post!! Doh!! Yes, of course the 60D has two scarts and TV has three. Sorry about that, it is my Sony vcr that only has the one.

Well I’ve tried out Roy's suggestions and here’s the outcome.

By the way, all the leads are high quality and are brand new. The component and audio leads were very expensive and connect the dvd recorder (dvdr) to the tv.

Aside from the rf lead between the dvdr and the tv, there is a fully-wired scart from AV1 on the dvdr to AV2 on the tv (as required for Panasonic’s Q-Link, though I could use AV4) and a similar lead goes from the AV2 on the dvdr to the vcr (which also requires a fully-wired scart lead) The tv and the dvdr are both brand new and made by Panasonic, the Sony vcr is a couple of years old with a single scart outlet. Both the tv and dvdr have in-built Freeview tuners.

With the connections as you suggest and with a Freeview digital programme playing, I inserted a cassette and pressed ‘play’. As before, the vcr worked fine, but when I pressed the ‘stop’ button, the vcr stopped playing, but the screen didn’t revert to the Freeview tv programme I’d been watching, but stayed plain blue with an ‘EC2’ sign in the top left hand corner.

When I pressed ‘play’ again, it all works fine but the blue screen (which the vcr handbook says is correct when no tape is playing) stays there when I press stop and can only be changed back to the tv programme by pressing AV on the remote!

With this set-up the dvdr would not record to the HDD but merely recorded the DVB programme being received on the dvdr.

I then re-connected the leads as described in the second paragraph above and tried again.

Now when I press play on the vcr, nothing shows on the screen unless I also press the AV button on the dvdr remote (OR the AV button on the tv remote!) when it shows the picture/sound properly. If I then press the ‘Record’ button on the dvdr remote (not the ‘Direct TV rec’ button at the top left hand of the remote) the vcr contents are recorded to the HDD with no problems. The recording even shows up as a thumbnail when I switch on the Direct Navigator!

However if, while recording, I press the AV button to revert to the tv programme, nothing is recorded to the HDD from that moment, so watching another programme while recording is a no-no!

It sounds as if the recording is dependant on the RF connection. Could it be that the vcr output is analogue and the dvdr can’t ‘read’ this?

Dvdr ‘Connection’ settings in the set-up menu are;

Tv aspect: ‘16:9’
    Progressive: ‘On’
    TV system: ‘PAL’
    AV1 Output: Video
    AV2 Settings: AV2 Input – RGB/Video (this setting apparently automatically detects the unit. I’ve also tried the other options too!)
    Ext Link – Ext Link 1

I’m wondering now whether there is some sort of conflict between the dvdr and the tv, because they both have AV buttons that change the screen view independently, depending on what DVB programme each was last tuned to. The tv set-up section requires the Q-Link scart to be connected to either AV2 or AV4 and mine is to AV2. But the next item in the menu is called ‘AV2/AV4 out’, which “offers a choice of signals to send to the Scart terminal selected in the Q-Link option. You can choose from the current TV (Analogue, DVB) programme position, the signal entering AV1/AV2/AV3/AV4 or Monitor – the picture displayed on the screen. Component signal input cannot be output to these Scart terminals”

I’ve tried all these options in turn and can note no difference whatsoever!! Any idea what it’s supposed to do?!

Sorry this is so long, but hopefully it may enable you or others to spot where I’m going wrong.

Cheers Jerry

21. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Q-link. I thought this was only necessary for
    setting up your TV channels with other equipment. Once the set up is complete you can then discard this.

Selecting input on your dvd recorder. You choose between analogue, freeview or external input (such as vcr - which is analogue output - not digital). You also select the recording source HDD or DVD.
    In your setup dvd recorder is connected to vcr. Fine. Then you must select AV2 on your dvd recorder as the input. Then on your TV remote you must select AV2 because this is the input your dvd recorder is connected to.

If you then press play on the vcr you should see the vhs tape on the tv screen. By pressing record on the dvd recorder remote the tape will be recorded to whatever your
    dvd recorder was set to either HDD or DVD.

You cannot then change the input by selecting a freeview channel on the dvd recorder to watch because this is changing your recorder status. The input must be left on AV2 for the vcr tape to continue being recorded.

You should be able to view a freeview channel on your TV by using the TV remote to switch to your freeview tuner of the TV. Switching between this and AV2 on the TV using the TV REMOTE should confirm that the vcr tape is still playing.

It may be that the Q-link is upsetting the configuration of your setup. I don't use this Q-link because I don't have a Panasonic TV.

Once you have the dvd recorder recording to
    DVD-R or the HDD just don't press any more buttons on the recorder or the recorder remote until its the stop button at the end.

VCR recordings from VHS tape are recorded in real time so a three hour tape will take 3 hours to transfer. If you are watching the tape then you could edit out commercials by pressing the dvd rec pause button at the start of the commercials and again at the end of the commercials to commence re-recording. This will remove them from your recording. It's a long winded process though.

See how it goes.

22. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Roy,

Many thanks for that. The Q-link actually does more than just download the TV channels (this isn't needed anyway, as the DVDR uses it's own tuner for that) but also allows direct recording from the TV, and a few other things.

Frankly, none of them are essential for us, so yes, I could ignore it.

By trial and error I've actually managed to arrive at the situation you describe in your 5th pararaph, and it's working fine. The only thing that still puzzles me, is why I have to MANUALLY change from the TV programme to AV and back again. I expected the set to revert to this as soon as the vcr recording was stopped.

However, at least I can now use the system to do what I want it to, although so far I've only recorded to the HDD while watching a DVB TV channel.

Next step is to try recording directly to a blank dvd disc!!!! Wish me luck!

Many thanks for your help Roy, it's very much appreciated.

Cheers Jerry

23. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Glad that you have managed the recording on the HDD. Having done that you should have no trouble in recording direct to DVD-R discs as its just a question of selecting DVD rather than HDD.

Having neither your super TV (which on the Panasonic eshop is close to £1800) or your particular Panasonic dvd recorder I can't comment as to why you have to manually switch between TV and AV on the TV set. Experimenting over time may give you a clue as to why this happens. When recording direct to DVD disc don't forget that using the FR (flexible recording mode) set to 3.05 hours for a 3 hour vhs tape will give better quality (bit rate) than using the LP 4 hour setting. It will be faster than using the HDD route. Recording should be a doddle from now on.

24. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Roy,

I actually paid under £1400 for the Panny and, as Siminio (a regular poster on here) points out, it's now well under £1300 at Curry'a apparently! But yes, it's a fabulous picture and looks great too.

Gonna have a go at recording directly to a disc in the next day or so, and will definitely use FR. I've used this once going the HDD to DVD disc route and that worked beautifully.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers Jerry

25. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just going through the same procedures of copying stuff from Sky+ and VHS. I am putting them to the HD first as I want to be able to edit out ads which I understand you cannot do if you put them to DVD-r etc. However, can anyone let me know the straight forward way of editing out the ads before I transfer to a DVD disc. Thanks

26. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    There are 2 ways of doing this, one involves creating a playlist, but I find another method easier for me.
    I create a chapter point at the begining of the ad break and then another at the end of the ad break, I go through the whole of the program creating chapters as necessary and then go to Chapter View in the Direct Navigator and delete the advert chapters. I do this on my E85 and assume this new model works in a similar way !

27. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JohnG - Do you create chapters whilst watching the programme, or do you have to do it in navigator, and speed through the programme until you come to the ads?

28. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    I do it via the navigator and fast forward through to the advert points. I usually copy a batch of stuff onto the HDD and then spend half an hour or so going through them to get rid of the ads. I do this with recordings I've transfered from Sky+ as well.

29. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JohnG-Thanks for that. Just done it and it's great. If I want to create chapters for a film, and then transfer them to a normal DVD disc, do the chapters get transfrred as well. Once again thanks

30. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Emjel,

"If I want to create chapters for a film, and then transfer them to a normal DVD disc, do the chapters get transfrred as well"

Yes they do. At least they did on the one occasion I've recorded to a disc!!