Question VCR to Humax to TV

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Mike W365, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Mike W365

Mike W365
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic Viera TV with no Scart socket, just USB and HDMI sockets. I also have a Humax HDR - Fox T2 HD Digital Recorder. with a Scart socket. Just bought a used VHS recorder to watch old video's of grandchildren. I've connected scart on video recorder to scart on Humax but am unable to find a picture on TV, which is connected to Humax by HDMI.

Would be grateful for help in connecting these together. Thanks.

2. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    I believe the Humax does NOT have a SCART input - it is output only. Your TV should have an AV input (composite video probably phono sockets) and you should be able to connect the VHS direct to this with an appropriate lead (SCART to phono?) make sure it is a SCART output lead or switchable.

3. Mike W365

Mike W365
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for speedy reply. I've attached two pictures of the reverse of my tv. Should I be able to find a cable that is scart to this socket and if so what is the socket called? Thanks.

Attached Files:

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,451
    Use a switched scart adaptor to 3 RCA phono cable (Red/White/Yellow) and plug them into the corresponding AV2 sockets.
    The socket in picture no 2 is for a short adaptor cable which has a plug at one end (to fit that AV1 socket) and a scart socket at the other end and was usually supplied with the TV.

5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,119

Assuming you have a compatible TV you need a adaptor cable which normally should come with the TV. The TV should have a multipurpose port that looks a bit like a hdmi socket. You cannot route it via most any modern pvr including a HDR-FOX-T2.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Genuine-Adaptor-K1HY20YY0011-Panels/dp/B00CGIYG1I

6. Mike W365

Mike W365
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I'm happier now I know what cables I need. Will let you know if I get it to work.

7. Mike W365

Mike W365
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have got the right cables and video's play on the TV now, delighted. Have bought a RCA universal remote but can't get it to work. Needless to say I don't have a pin code for the vcr which is: MATSUI Model VP 9607. I attach a picture of the front of the vcr. Any help in getting the remote to work would be great, thanks.

Attached Files:

8. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,451
    That's a pity you don't have the VCR's remote.
    Universal remotes usually require 2 different codes for TV-VCR Combi's, one for the TV section and one for the VCR.
    Check the remote's user manual for the code under the VCR section.
    Try 0000 or 1234 for the PIN.
    I would have thought the genuine original remote would be available cheaply on eBay.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  9. Mike W365

Mike W365
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JayCee. Just bought original remote on eBay, hadn't thought it would still be available. Will update when received.

10. Mike W365

Mike W365
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I now have a Matsui VP9607 remote control for my vcr but no idea how to connect the two. Help, as always, would be appreciated. Picture of remote attached.

Attached Files:

11. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,451
    I don't understand your comment “no idea how to connect the two”
    It should just be a case of putting batteries in the remote and it should work.

12. Mike W365

Mike W365
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's what I thought but I've put new batteries in and no response from any button. I thought I would have to pair the remote with the vcr with a code. Also thought I should see a menu on screen which I have on the right channel for the vcr.

13. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,119
    Like any other infra red remote it should just work. No pairing is required. If the remote is outputting infra red commands the device that it's supposed to control understands it should just work. One of the cheaper logitech Harmony remotes might work. They have thousands of devices in the online data base you use to set up Harmony remotes. Do You have a PC or laptop with a usb port with internet access. ?

eg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-H...d=1541185330&sr=8-7&keywords=logitech+harmony

on such a old vcr the box infra red receiver and the associated circuitry may well no longer work.

Point a mobile phone camera or digital camera at the remote and push a button and take a photograph Digital cameras detect infra red. It should be obvious if the remote is actually outputting any infra red.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  14. Mike W365

Mike W365
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks grahamlthompson, used my phone camera to check remote and you're right, you can see the output so I know that's working, I guess it is the vcr's receiver that's not working. It's carry on as before I suppose, down on my knees to operate it. At my great age that's easier said than done, it's a painful operation.