VCR to DVD, recommend a cheap recorder

salsa-king

Established Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
If you already have a vcr then I would go for a dvd recorder only and if you have a lot of tapes to transfer pick amodel with smart encoding ie Panasonic then if you have a tape the is perhaps just over the 2 hours say 2 1/4 it will only compress as much as is neede .As opposed to others which will compress much more than is needed

Even Tescos Do decent DVD recorders with HDD

I would recommend one with HDD because you can record several VHS tapes to the HDD , then create the DVDs either splitting up indiviual tapes or getting a mix onto DVD
The advantage is that you dont need to do these things as a real time process
Also you can trim split join clips before commiting to disc
I dont think youll spend £150 for a decent model
I have a 3 year old LG with 80Gb of HDD space which cost £189 atthe time from Comet.. Its still going strong:smashin:

If you already have a vcr then I would go for a dvd recorder only and if you have a lot of tapes to transfer pick amodel with smart encoding ie Panasonic then if you have a tape the is perhaps just over the 2 hours say 2 1/4 it will only compress as much as is neede .As opposed to others which will compress much more than is needed

Thanks for that I didn't know such a thing existed, I could have done with that a few months back when copying some tapes, - on my recorder if the video is 2 hrs 1 min then you have to record it in the lowest quality mode ie. 4 hours :mad:

When it gives up the ghost I guess I'll be replacing it with a Panasonic (will then be able to use the Viera link with the telly :)).

As in everything the more you pay the better machine and hard drive recorders give far more options but for copying vhs a cheap one may suffice

Last edited:
Thanks for that I didn't know such a thing existed, I could have done with that a few months back when copying some tapes, - on my recorder if the video is 2 hrs 1 min then you have to record it in the lowest quality mode ie. 4 hours :mad:

When it gives up the ghost I guess I'll be replacing it with a Panasonic (will then be able to use the Viera link with the telly :)).
I have had a Panasonic DVD recorder but as I said, A HDD is a good thing, and other brands also have variants of smart "encoding" to fit a disc,

My perfect set top box:
1. is a DVD recorder
2. is a Blu-Ray player
3. has a HDD (ie. is a PVR)
4. is a HD Freesat decoder
5. has a SDHC slot
6. has an Ethernet port and can be networked
7. has a USB port
8. can play back AVCHD from either HDD, SDHC, external hard drive/USB pen drive or DVD

Basically a Humax Foxsat-HDR with DVD/BD combined with a Popcorn Hour in one box.

How long do you think I'll be waiting? :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom