VCR to DVD-Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pakeen, Sep 9, 2005.

1. pakeen

pakeen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have:-
    (1) PACE Twin Freeview HD Recorder with-
    two Scarts (TV & TV2/VCR)
    and "Antenna" & "TV" sockets
    (2)Phillips DVD Recorder with-
    two Scarts (EXT1 TO TV I/O & EXT2 AUX-I/O)
    and"Antenna" & "TV" Sockets
    (3)Old Sony TV with one Scart & aerial socket
    (4)Old Hitachi VCR with two Scarts plus
    aerial & TV sockets.

Can anyone tell me how I can connect this lot up so that I can watch Freeview as well as watch &/or copy VCR to DVD?

PACE HardDisc to DVD &/or VCR would be a bonus.

Just to make life interesting,I can't find the PACE Handbook!!

Any help or advice ,(except reference to "Bin"), would be gratefully received. Thanks.

2. Bal2005

Bal2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It is a little complicated due to you only having one scart on the TV.

The best option maybe to look at something like the one 4 all scart switch which allows you to record from one source and view another.

I need to think about how you can wire you setup if you don't go for something like that but I still think you need a two way scart switch to the TV maybe/ This would allow you to view AV1 or AV2 of your freeview while you record from the devices i.e VCR to DVD.

Thanks

3. pakeen

pakeen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks-I am not too bothered about watching Freeview simultaneously with VCR to DVD copy. I just want to do either. Sorry if my request for help was misleading,(or was it?),-I'm not much good at explaining technical matters on something I don't really understand the workings of! Thanks again.

4. Bal2005

Bal2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

Ok the only way which I can think of for the moment, but still requires a two way scart switch is this.

Pace Av2 > VCR AV2
    VCR AV1 > DVD AV2

You should then have AV1 of the Pace free and AV1 of DVD free. These would goto the scart switch allowing you to view which ever you want, the Freeview or the DVD side of things.

What I was thinking of here is that since you Pace AV2 is going to the VCR and that inturn is going to your DVD recorder you can record the VCR content to your DVD Recorder (going through AV1) or you can record the Freeview to your VCR or DVD recorder (looped through the VCR AV's). So if your VCR is off, your DVD recorder should have the freeview loopthrough to AV2 of the DVD recorder. This sounds more cmplicated than it is.

Since you are using the scart switch you can switch between what is going on the recording side or just watch the Pace free. This is if you Pace twin tuner allows you to output both AV1 and AV2 with seperate contents i.e AV2 viewing HD contents while AV1 is viewing what is live.

You may need to try this setup first by manually swopping the scarts at the TV end before you buy the scart switch.

Also please note that if you just want to watch what you are recording or just want to watch what isn't being recording, just stick the AV1 of the DVD recorder to the TV. This just means that you have to view what ever source you are viewing i.e AV2 etc

Hope it helps

5. pakeen

pakeen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks yet again-I'll give it a go as soon as I can.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    Re your PM. I dion't think I can add anything to the above.

7. pakeen

pakeen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bal2005 &LV426-better late than never! I've got it sorted with your help & a call to Phillips helpline. T'would seem my main problem was in setting the "EXT2" input. The bloke at Phillips gave me a step by step guide through & all was then fine. I'm not sure,in retrospect,what the route that he took was but,having got what I want, the set up will now be now left strictly alone!! By the way,hats off to the Phillips chap who took a non techno, as I am, through it with infinite patience-even going so far as to translate the jargon into plain English!! Wonders never cease! Anyway thanks for your help.

8. Bal2005

Bal2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No Problem

Glad you working.