VCR (SCART) - Amp (Phono) Connection

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ChrisOfTheOT, Sep 26, 2002.

1. ChrisOfTheOT

ChrisOfTheOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unable to resist the temptation to exhibit my igorance once again...

So I've got my gorgeous Yamaha 630 amp as the centre-piece of my little home cinema. On the far corner of said set-up is an aging Ferguson VCR. This has two SCARTs, 1 and 2 (surprise!), and although the whole unit is black, SCART 2 is a very attractive blue colour, and is maked 'decoder'.

All I wanted to do was listen to videos through the amp so I connected SCART 2, via a SCART-phono lead with signal out (of the SCART) to the amp's VCR 1 input. (SCART 1 is connected to Sky+.)

But there's no sound. (Other than through the TV.)

So - what am I doing wrong this time?

Thanks in advance, again,

Chris

P.S. Note that the VCR was my old mum's and there is no manual to consult - it took me forever just to figure out how the remote works!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Scart lead from Digibox to Scart two on VCR and further scart lead from Scart 1 on VCR to TV should look after the picture and a pair of phono leads from VCR to amp should handle the sound

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,905
    So, it appears that the blue 'decoder' scart is wired on the VCR for input only.

If you want to get sound out of the VCR you will need to use SCART 1 or, if fitted, separate audio out phono jacks.

If it doesn't have audio out jacks, can you connect Sky to the Blue one and use the other one for your audio out?

4. ChrisOfTheOT

ChrisOfTheOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, yes. Forgot to mention that the VCR has no phono connections of its own (sorry!).

I did try switching the SCARTs around but that got me no picture AND no sound. I didn't know that SCART sockets might be wired for either input or output only - it seems that the blue 'decoder' SCART might be input only. (What a fat lot of use that is...)

I am a bit mystifyed about the switching thing though. Surely, even if old Bluey is wired for input only, then I should have got sound but no picture? Oooer. I may try the VCR 2 inputs on the amp - but not today. (I have found that wrestling all the components and their related cables around is much like fighting an angry shark in a small, dark cave... Except that home cinema tweaking is more painful and more frightening...)

Thanks again chaps - I'll let you know.

Chris

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,905
    But HOW was the TV getting its picture. You said it was getting sound, too. I infer from this, that you have the TV tuned to the RF (aerial) output from the VCR, which does indeed carry both picture and sound. This would explain why the TV is reproducing sound - it is coming in down the aerial cable.

But, to get sound into your amp, you need to connect an audio output on the VCR into the amp, as you have already suggested.

If your VCR is a stereo or hifi or NICAM jobbie, before you try it; don't bother connecting any of the TV's outputs to the amp and expect to get stereo from your VCR this way. The RF (aerial) signal from the VCR is mono only - they always are.