1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCR required urgently.

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by ibrox, Sep 9, 2003.

1. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I`ve a long thread under the T.V section but to cut a long story short I`m looking for the following info on a VCR.

1.Phillips VCR to match my new Phillips T.V to help with with connection.
    2.Must have 2 Scart Sockets on the back.
    3.Phono Red + White Plugs only.

Suggestions on model,price and where available welcomed.
    Thanks.

2. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Philips videos in my exprience leave a lot to be desired, and as for their customer service you might as well forget it. Try JVC or Panasonic if you want a good VCR

3. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks scooby do for reply.
    Problem is I`ve bought a Philips 6517 T.V and have been advised to get a Philips VCR for connectivity reasons.
    The VCR is not that important as it will only be for occassional use and will rarely be used for recording but mostly watching old football tapes.

I don`t need anything special + the simpler the better.

Only requirement was 2 scart sockets at back + Phono Red + White Plugs only.

If anybody has a suggestion for VCR or even alternative make VCR that meets the requirements I would welcome comments.
    Ta.

4. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    For connectivity reasons? What are these? Smartlink, other videos support this and are better quality as well.

5. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scooby Do ;I`m afraid I don`t know the technical answer to your question.
    The information will be on the T.V thread "help for a newbie" where advice was suggested that a Phillips VCR should be bought.

Sorry about length of this thread but if you can be bothered having a look then may find interesting.
    Thanks.

6. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Half decent VCR must have a scart socket at back or Red and White Plugs.

Any suggestions?

The simpler the better and obviously a quality one going cheap would be nice.
    Cheers.

7. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought if I bought a JVC or Panny VCR would an universal all in one do for a Sony Dav S 550,Phillips 6517 T.V and chosen VCR.?

8. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it you mean a universal remote control ? If so, it should operate any popular brand of equipment. I agree with the JVC or Panasonic theory on best quality VCR's.

I've just bought a Panasonic NV-HV60EB Nicam VCR from www.appliance-direct.co.uk for £103.95 including 48 hour delivery. It's available in black or silver and is in the current argos brochure, for £119.99, if you want to see what it looks like.

Like yourself, I will only be using it to watch old footy videos. I'm getting a 42" plasma delivered on Tuesday and can't wait to see Laudrup, Hateley, Gascoigne, McCoist etc. doing the business on a mega-large screen....

Manchester here we come !!!

9. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jambo for info.
    With a log in user name of jambo I thought you would be a jam tarts man!!

I take it the recommended Panny has the technical spec with the 2 scart sockets on back/Phono red + white plugs.

If so that would do me nicely my friend.

Can you or anybody confirm please.?

If poss I would like to order a VCR on FRI 12th SEP.

That should I hope complete my purchases.

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    www.prcdirect.co.uk were doing the nicam VR740 for £69.95 delivered. A good deal I believe as its about £110 delivered at amazon. Not sure if its the full spec you need though but does feature videoplus so its not their most basic nicam model.

11. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanksbonzobanana for comments.
    The only reason I specified Philips was advice was given on other thread if I`ve a Philips T.V I should buy a Philips VCR.

I don`t know whether true or not.!!

When I refer to technical spec it`s about the ability to connect up to Philips 6517 T.V and Sony DAV S550 all in one.

It`s not about the ability of the VCR to have many features.

All it is used for is watching old tapes and my wife sometimes records a soap occassionally.

Thanks and maybe this will clarify things a bit better.

If you want to read more there`s a thread on the T.V section "Help for a Newbie" where it is explained in detail.

Hope someone can help but there usually is on such a great forum.

12. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ibrox,

Panasonic VCR I referred to earlier has 2 scarts and standard L & R audio inputs, which you require.
    It also has videoplus, 35x speed review and jet rewind (3hr tape in 60 secs). It also has a 12 hour longplay mode.... Very handy if Celtic are 1 goal behind in an old firm game, when injury time lasts till they score !!!

Also, Dixon's in the Braehead Centre are doing the Panasonic NV-FJ630 for £98.97. This is last years model, but has all of the above features and is a good looking VCR. It gets 4 1/2 stars in What Video review and appears great value for what you want.

PS. I am a 100 % bluenose. 'Jambo' is an old nickname, nothing to do with footy. Good luck.

13. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to talk to a fellow Bluenose.(We arra!!)

With the Panasonic NV-HV 60 EB only costing a fiver more and being delivered I`ll go for that I think if available.
    It would cost me a few quid in petrol to get to Braehead + timescale is not a problem as waiting on T.V being delivered.

Hopefully in a few weeks will be up + running with all the new gear.

Thanks for help everybody.

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    I concur with what everyones been saying: the best VCRs are from JVC and Panasonic. The former tend to be slightly cheaper, the latter tend to look slightly better.

I don't know who suggested you buy a Philips VCR because you have a Philips TV or why but, IMHO, you should buy the best piece of equipment for your use/price range on a piece by piece process - buying an item because, e.g. your TV is made by the same producer seldom gives the best end result.

15. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Rasczak;
    Panasonic NV-HV 60 EB purchased from www.appliance-direct.co.uk for £103.95 and already received phone call to say being delevered on Tues 16th Sept.

Thanks again all.

16. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys.
    Can I ask another favour about connecting Philips 6517 T.V,Sony Dav S550(Multi Regional)all in one,Panasonic NV-HV60EB VCR.

I have purchased cabling to connect all together.

The problem is I am not sure whether I have received the correct cabling necessary.

Could you have a look on the T.V section and you will see details of the cabling required and cabling received to check.

The thread is called "Help for a Newbie" and there are posts on 10/9 and 12/9 which cover this subject.Also on previous pages some stuff about cabling.

Hope you can help.
    Thanks again.Cheers.