VCR Remote not working

davemcd

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello
I hope I am posting in the correct forum. I have a Toshiba VT-428B VCR and the remote control has started to just turn the machine off and on no matter what button is pressed. The tapes still play and record okay using the controls on the VCR itself but some functions are only accessed via the remote. I have tried new batteries but the problem remains. Do I just need a new remote or is the problem in the VCR itself?

Many Thanks
David

Hello
I hope I am posting in the correct forum. I have a Toshiba VT-428B VCR and the remote control has started to just turn the machine off and on no matter what button is pressed. The tapes still play and record okay using the controls on the VCR itself but some functions are only accessed via the remote. I have tried new batteries but the problem remains. Do I just need a new remote or is the problem in the VCR itself?

Many Thanks
David

Welcome to the forum David.

Reset the micro of the main machine by disconnecting the unit from the mains for 10 minutes, then try again.

Hi
Thanks for the prompt response. I tried turning the machine off at the mains for 10 minutes but when I turned it back on I have the same problem. I even tried the eject button and all that did was to change the channel number to 7 for some strange reason.

Many Thanks
David

It sounds like a faulty remote, but it could be in the VCR itself. Can you get hold of a universal remote to check with? There are some which are quite cheap these days, and if it turns out that your remote is at fault, this may be the way to go. (Check it has codes for your VCR first though, as if you need to teach it from an existing RC, you may be stuck). Alternatively, you may be able to fix it by opening up the remote control and cleaning the contacts.

I even tried the eject button and all that did was to change the channel number to 7 for some strange reason.

Is that Eject button on the remote or on the machine?

If on the machine it obviously exonerates the remote and suggests there is a problem with the unit.

Check there are no stuck buttons.

Hello

Thanks for the help. The eject button I was referring to was the one on the remote. I have found a universal remote for £10 at Argos so I am off to buy one to see if that solves the problem. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Many Thanks

David

The eject button I was referring to was the one on the remote.

OK. Another thing to try:

Remove the batteries of the remote and short the remotes battery contacts together.

This can be tricky - as it has to be the 'active' contacts ... not just battery link contact which will dependent on the number of batteries in the remote.

If it is not possible to determine which contacts are the active contacts , just short them all together... Admittedly this can be a bit of a faff.

Hello

Thanks for the suggestion, I was not too sure what you meant by shorting the active contacts together so as I had nothing to lose I took the remote apart, after a bit of a struggle, and checked that all the key-pads were working okay and cleaned the contacts. The remote and VCR now seems to be working okay so I now know the problem was in the remote.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

David

Hello

Thanks for the suggestion, I was not too sure what you meant by shorting the active contacts together so as I had nothing to lose I took the remote apart, after a bit of a struggle, and checked that all the key-pads were working okay and cleaned the contacts. The remote and VCR now seems to be working okay so I now know the problem was in the remote.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

David

Well done!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom