VCR recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Diapason, Jun 26, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hello one and all,

I've recently moved into a new apartment, so I'm starting an AV system from the ground up. However, finances being what they are I'm going to start with the easy stuff!!

I need a VCR. Normally I wouldn't care because I rarely watch videos, but it's quite likely that in the very near future I'll be buying a plasma, and will be using the VCR as my analogue TV source for the time being. I don't watch all that much TV, so I'm unlikely to go digital straight away, but I want to get something that gives me a watchable picture.

So, any recommendations? I'm assuming at the very least I'll be looking for something that outputs S-Video? Anybody here using a VCR as an analogue tuner for plasma?

Cheers in advance for any advice,

Si

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If you have a decent aerial analogue is not needed

Try a Pace Twin - records and gives you a couple of DTTV tuners.

Analogue looks pants on anything W/S

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Yes. Go for either a JVC or Panasonic SVHS machine - these are the best on the market at the moment by a long shot. That said why not give the VCR a bit of a miss and go for a DVD Recorder. All the current DVDRs have analogue tuners - as long as you steer clear of the Philips models (which aren't going to be that good for a tuner as everything you see goes through the MPEG encoder) then you can't go wrong. Digital recordings in XP mode will look fantastic on your plasma.