VCR purchase

mario1987

Novice Member
Hello!

My mom still use a vcr for watching her old movies and recording tv. Her S-VHS Vcr just broke down and she wants me to bought her a GOOD one as she said.

I am not really good with VCR as i was a little too young to really understand the format.

I came across two at a little shop close to her house, so i am asking you wich one should i go for? She wants the best (for a VCR) haha.

The Panasonic PV-VS4820 or Mitsubishi HS-U776.

Thanks a lot for you help.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Hello!

My mom still use a vcr for watching her old movies and recording tv. Her S-VHS Vcr just broke down and she wants me to bought her a GOOD one as she said.

I am not really good with VCR as i was a little too young to really understand the format.

I came across two at a little shop close to her house, so i am asking you wich one should i go for? She wants the best (for a VCR) haha.

The Panasonic PV-VS4820 or Mitsubishi HS-U776.

Thanks a lot for you help.
Hello and welcome to the Forums.

Just so you know, this is a UK-based site and, at a guess, populated by people who are 98% only interested in current technology.

Having said that, what are the prices of the respective machines? Do they come with remote controls? Does your mother's TV support a VCR connection (SCART, if my memory is right)?

I managed to find these two review sites:

The Panasonic gets a higher overall rating, but there's probably not a lot in it in everyday life.

If she's too afraid to try a newer technology, then yes, probably best to just stick with VCR. But if she's willing to try something different, she could either try a DVD recorder with a built-in hard drive:

This allows you to record programmes onto the hard drive and play them back without ever having to use physical media. But if she did want to keep a programme, then she could copy it onto a blank DVD, which are very cheap if you buy a spindle of 50.

Alternatively, assuming that she's got a large collection of pre-recorded videotapes, there's always this:

So she could use the VCR section for record or playback, and the DVD part for both too.

To summarise: a VCR uses analogue technology to record and play back videotapes. A DVD recorder uses digital technology to record and playback DVD's. They are basically the same thing, except the latter has better picture quality than VHS and DVD's don't wear out like tapes do.

Any questions, just ask.

Good luck!:)

mario1987

Novice Member
thanks a lot for you quick answer. Sorry i didnt know it was a UK based website, i'am in Toronto.

I tried for many years to make her switch to dvd or even hard drive inside of her digital cable tv box but with no help. She wants to sitck to S-VHS....

They are at the same price but the Mitshibishi is serviced... 29.99$ each with cables and remote.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
thanks a lot for you quick answer. Sorry i didnt know it was a UK based website, i'am in Toronto.

I tried for many years to make her switch to dvd or even hard drive inside of her digital cable tv box but with no help. She wants to sitck to S-VHS....

They are at the same price but the Mitshibishi is serviced... 29.99$ each with cables and remote.
No problem!

Okay, both machines are around the same age (about 20 years old!) and could fail at any time as you have no idea how much they've been used.

However, I would suggest that the Mitsubishi has the advantage here as it's been serviced - this suggests that it's been cleaned up, any old parts replaced and it's been checked that it works properly.

If it was my choice, I'd go for any machine that had had a recent service over one that hadn't, especially for technology that's this old.

Also, with both machines being so cheap, I'd probably buy both and keep one as a backup!

Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom