VCR Output Problem

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by RemotecUK, Jun 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Ive "borrowed" my parents (approx). five year old Sony video to watch some of my old tapes - this has now been installed into my rack :)

I thought the best way to connect it would be to get a Scart to S-Video convertor and plug this into the AV amp which then routes the signal to the screen.

This works but the picture I am getting is in black and white. Im guessing that the VCR doesnt have RGB output on scart. Am I right?

I dont really want to buy a new VCR for watching old tapes recorded from the TV so could I get a scart to composite converter, plug this into the amp and will it give me colour pictures?

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As far as I know, RemotecUK, RGB output doesn't exist on consumer-level machines.

A SCART cable will give you a composite output or, if it is aptly wired and you have the appropriate s-video output (VCR) and input (TV), you'll be able to view the significantly clearer (on my set, at least) s-video image.

If you are connecting to an amp/receiver, you'll just have to decide which connection you wish to use and check what is possible with the amp. I believe that some boxes can provide an s-video output from a composite input, for instance; but, as I said, you'll have to check the details - or wait for some friendly type to confirm the facts... :)

Finally, in terms of s-video, there is one more matter to bear in mind: signal direction. S-video cables are said to be 'directional', meaning that they can be either 'input' or 'output'-enabled. Use the wrong type, of course, and you'll garner results along the lines, for example, of a black and white image.

Hope that helps :smashin:

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    A scart plug carries various video signals, but only the ones the source is wired to send. Just cos there's an s-video plug on the end of a scart doesn't automatically make an s-video signal appear. A VCR is composite video only. S-video uses the same pins as composite to send the 'lumiance' 1/2 of the signal, 'chromiance' or colour information is sent on different pins, allowing more bandwidth and more quality. The s-video capable display is displaying just the lumiance, ie how light or dark. As you see, this is b/w. You can buy a device to upconvert composite to s-video. It adds no quality, just compatibility. Some recent amps do this for you too.

BTW you would get exactly the same result from a RGB device, you need a converter to turn that into s-video, decent quality there though.

4. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting, when I was looking for an amp up-video conversion was on my list of must haves. However, through severe personal incompetence I didnt actually think about it when I selected my amp (Marantz SR5400).

I havent seen that function in the instruction manual so I am presuming it doenst have the feature.

Can someone suggest the cheapest way to get colour images from the video's scart output via the amp?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Scart to composite lead, £10