1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCR lost picture

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by steev, Mar 15, 2003.

Tags:
  1. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've got an Aiwa HV-FX7800K. It's been fine for however long we've had it. Must be a year or 2. Anyway, today when we tried to use it we're getting sound okay, but just noise on the screen. The auto-tracking isn't making it better and manual tracking didn't help either.

It probably gets average use. My daughter will watch a film several times a week and we tape things now and then.

Our old Hitachi had to go because the head was knackered. I'm hoping this hasn't happened again.

Any suggestions?

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    If you're lucky, the heads may just be clogged. Try running a tape in reverse search mode for a few minutes. The reverse direction of travel sometimes dislodges whatever is clogging the heads. If that doesn't work, it may be worth trying a head cleaner or get the heads cleaned manually. If all that fails, your heads may be kaput but it is quite rare for heads to fail instantly unless someone has done somethig silly like poke something in the machine.

3. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary. I'll try those things.

We do have a one year old in the house so there is a chance something was put in there, but I can't see anything.

4. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up a TDK head cleaner in Woolies yesterday, chucked it in the player and waited. After several cycles of the cleaner (and some annoying music) a picture started to emerge from the snowstorm. Another minute and it was back to normal.

I'm impressed. 8 quid well spent.

5. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    I do like a happy ending.