1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCR interfering with DVD

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Dan666, Aug 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Pace DVB box connected to my Philips TV via the AV1 scart, and a Pioneer DV444 connected via the AV2 scart. This set up has been working fine until recently...

I have added a Philips VR840 VCR in between the Pace box and the TV. Ive plugged the Pace box into the DECODER scart socket on the VCR, and the TV into AV1 on the VCR. The aerial input goes into the VCR then loops through to the socket on the Pace DVB's connector. There is no RF connection to the TV, just the 2 scarts.

DVB and analogue broadcasts (connected via AV1 on the TV) are fine, but when playing a DVD (through AV2 on the TV) I get either rapid diagnal bars, or slow moving bars (about 3" wide) from left to right. This never happened before I added the VCR.

The only way I can stop the interference on the DVD playback is to either unplug the aerial from the wall, or unplug the VCRs power lead. Setting the VCR to stanby has no effect.

Ive tried changing my cheap scart leads for THOR items, but this hasnt made any difference.

Obviously, im looking at the VCR as the culprit - does anyone know how RF can be leaking from the VCR into the DVD picture, bearing in mind the DVD and VCR are on seperate shelves about 12" away from each other? The only way they are electrically linked is by being connected to the same TV, and sharing the same 6-way power strip.

Thanks in advance

2. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you ever get this resolved? I was thinking of buying a Philips VR840 VCR and don't want to run into the same problems.
    Also, do you have any comments on the Philips VR840 e.g. quality of picture, sound etc.

3. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I bought a new STB shortly after that post - a Netgem iPlayer. This has an RF loop-through, so the aerial is plugged into this first, then loops through to the VCR. I have no interference whatsoever.

It could be that the Netgem is 'cleaning' the RF signal before it gets to the VCR, or it could just be that placing the STB before the VCR stops any interference feeding back along the RGB lines - its difficult to pin down.

As for the VCR itself, Im very pleased with it. Picture and sound is great for such a cheap player - but I dont use it much, which is a shame (there's never anything on telly good enough to watch twice!).

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    DAN you should really go:
    VCR>STB>TV
    DVD>TV
    I guess pace was single scart?

5. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, the Pace was single scart.

All my scart connections go through a Quintro box now so contention is no longer an issue.

My RF lead goes to the Netgem, then through to the VCR.

6. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you got it sorted. I'll bear in mind and RF loo through when I get my STB.

Thanks for the info on the VCR. I've been unable to find any user reviews on that model anywhere on the net.