VCR dying, switch to either Sony DVD/HD or Humax PVR?

converse

Standard Member
Our faithful old Mitsubishi B52 VCR has died, I've tried to fix in vain, and we have a cheap Sony DVD-VHS combo as a temp measure from another part of the house, the quality from the Sony VCR is poor (the B52 was still excellent on high quality tapes). We also have a good quality standalone Sony DVD player.

We have (what was a) high end Sony Freeview CRT TV (4 or 5 years old), and are happy with the picture quality and in no hurry to move to LCD/Plasma, but would like to future proof any new products.

Ideally we'd like to move to a DVD/HD Recorder and/or a PVR.

We've got a handful of precious VHS recorded tapes I'd like to convert to DVD, (family etc. not commercial tapes). I'm aware I could digitise with a PC or Mac, but also guess it'd be easier playing directly into a DVD recorder.

If it wasn't for that requirement I'd go for a Humax 9300T straight away (like the idea of 2 tuners for recording and its good reviews), but it seems it can't record from other sources and the USB doesn't output to anything to archive. So that makes a DVD recorder more inviting to be able to archive off to disc.

If we look at a DVD/HDR it'll probably be the SONY RDRHXD995, or similar, with a single freeview tuner and a 250GB HD. This is available for £200 at Richer Sounds at the moment, apparently to clear - are they being replaced with newer models, any newer ones with dual freeview tuners?

Thoughts and options please!

Gavtech

Administrator
Our faithful old Mitsubishi B52 VCR has died, I've tried to fix in vain, and we have a cheap Sony DVD-VHS combo as a temp measure from another part of the house, the quality from the Sony VCR is poor (the B52 was still excellent on high quality tapes). We also have a good quality standalone Sony DVD player.

We have (what was a) high end Sony Freeview CRT TV (4 or 5 years old), and are happy with the picture quality and in no hurry to move to LCD/Plasma, but would like to future proof any new products.

Ideally we'd like to move to a DVD/HD Recorder and/or a PVR.

We've got a handful of precious VHS recorded tapes I'd like to convert to DVD, (family etc. not commercial tapes). I'm aware I could digitise with a PC or Mac, but also guess it'd be easier playing directly into a DVD recorder.

If it wasn't for that requirement I'd go for a Humax 9300T straight away (like the idea of 2 tuners for recording and its good reviews), but it seems it can't record from other sources and the USB doesn't output to anything to archive. So that makes a DVD recorder more inviting to be able to archive off to disc.

If we look at a DVD/HDR it'll probably be the SONY RDRHXD995, or similar, with a single freeview tuner and a 250GB HD. This is available for £200 at Richer Sounds at the moment, apparently to clear - are they being replaced with newer models, any newer ones with dual freeview tuners?

Thoughts and options please!

I think you are on top of all the options open to you... and wise not to be in a hurry to move to LCD/Plasma technology, which despite some of it's advantages, in many respect lags behind CRT technology.

I DO think that perhaps you should be looking, not just at one type of device [ PVR or DVDR] but perhaps ultimately, both.

These device work in complementary fashion.
Purchasing both at once is probably too much of a financial burden so you could phase purchase... which leaves room for the future proofing you desire.

New Sony units are just weeks away... but with the exception of the expected 'Direct record' facility , I do not expect these units to be in any way revolutionary. [ ... and given oncoming broadcasting changes they are not 'future proofed' ]

So it seems to me, to get the kind of facilities you require now- then yes - Go ahead and acquire a DVDR.

You could consider adding a PVR later - maybe sometime in the nest year by which time DVB - T2 tuners should be built into hardware, which will future proof you somewhat.

ramjet

Banned
pvr,s usually have 2 tuners ( but not always )

dvdr,s only have the one tuner , not twin tuners

and you wont find a future proof one as they dont have the HD freeview tuners yet either

a sony 890 or 995 should do the job as far as SD goes , and will allow you to record from external sources as well

personally I would buy a sony 770 and upgrade the internal hdd

and sometime in the future look for some sort of HD tuner , either satellite , cable or freeview as appropriate ( or a mixture of them )

converse

Standard Member
Thanks guys very much. I guess with "future proofed" I was meaning having HDMI and more modern outputs, for when (if!) we move to flatscreens.

We are happy with freeview get a pretty good signal here, not interested in satellite subs nor freesat either.

I'll hold off for the next few weeks and see what Sony release, any links to news items / dates or potential specs.

I guess ultimately both would give the most flexibility...

I'll also have a look at the 770 and HDD upgrading!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom