1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCR died today - DVD recorder recommendations?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by No-One, Nov 14, 2004.

1. No-One

No-One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well my 9 year old Akai vcr has just about had it I think. In the process of sorting through my collection of video tapes today it's now decided to output sound fine, however the picture is about 90% transparent snow with the picture behind it.

I own a few region 1 dvds so multi region playback is essential. A local shop in Peterborough who I've bought from previously (www.multiregionmagic.co.uk) pre modify all their machines. Also a built in hard drive would be preferable but nothing too extravagant. I'll say a budget of somewhere up to £400.

It seems to be a direct choice between DVD-RAM and DVD-RW. The Panasonic range seemed the obvious choice at first until I realised that although they could use DVD-R discs, DVD-RW was a no go. Or it's Pioneer that can handle both DVD-R and DVD-RW but no DVD-RAM. What's the current situation with these formats? I don't want to get a year or 2 down the line and be left with the betamax of the DVD recording age. And how come hardly any of them support DVD+R/W?

2. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason why the + format is a no go is due to lack of features and compatability. The truth of the matter is that + is not officially a Digital Versatile Disc by defenition.

The arguments between -RW and and -RAM are that RAM offers the likes of timeslip and the ability to play and record on the same disc at the same time, but -RW allows the disc to be played in loads of DVD players when the videos have been recorded in the right mode (VR mode), although both types of machines also use DVD-R which is the cheaper write once disc.

3. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plus the fact that for every 1 +R disc sold, 8 -R discs are sold.

4. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lack of features, possibly.....compatibility is good so it's not a reason.

It depends on who provides the definition.

-RW (VR) on 2x discs or faster offers TimeSlip as well.

I think you mean Video mode.

Correct!

5. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Toshiba SX32 does ram, -rw and -r and is <400

6. GoldFish

GoldFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jus t a quick note to add : Tosh (the PAL version) do not record NTSC !!

HTH

Tan

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Why are there so many DVD+RW discs around (e.g. Maxells in Asda and Safeway) but no DVD-RWs ?????

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Because so far DVD-RW have quite low market share. The vast majority of users buy write once media - these account for well over 85% of the whole market - and hence re-writeable disks are given less shelf space.

Out of the three different re-writeable media (DVD+RW, DVD-RAM and DVD-RW) DVD+RW has proved itself popular with PC users due to fast write speeds, no need to finalise and (until recently) a slight technical edge. Although it has few PC users these days DVD-RAM has achieved an impressive market share of the set-top market and thus you can normally pickup these disks quite easily from Dixons, Comet, Currys, PC World etc but the higher unit cost prevents budget stores selling the media. DVD-RW is yet to really hit the big time: it's not popular with PC users and most set-top users tend to use DVD-R.