VCR as tuner

S

sandeepg

Hi,

I have a Panasonic 42PWD5 plasma display. Currently, I am in search for a VCR which I can use as a PAL tuner for my plasma unit. I am not being able to figure out if I should go for a regular VHS vcr or SVHS, considering that VCR will only be used as a tuner only. I am not at all interested in playing SVHS tapes or recording in SVHS mode.

1) Will I get any improvement in the analog cable signal using svideo out compared to composite cosidering that Panasonic plasma's 3D Y/C filter is supposed to be pretty good.

2) I have been told that JVC vcrs have better PAL tuners compared to Panasonic as they have lower noise threholds, how true is that?

3) SVHS Vcrs have scart out also. Will using RGB to VGA converter box improve the cable signal quality?

Thanks for help.

-Sandeep

Sandeepg – I may be of some help as I have the 42PW5B and do just what you are contemplating with a JVC S-VHS recorder. My S-VHS signals are switched through an AV amp to the Panasonic BNC input board. You may be surprised at what quality an S-VHS recording can achieve plus and this gives a convenient connection for 3 other S-VHS or video sources.

If you have other S-VHS sources, IMO this is the way to go but if not, there is not much difference on Analogue Terrestrial between this and a video connection.

If you have RGB sources already and a BNC connection board, superb results can be obtained from using the RGB mode with sync set to video/S-VHS.

Hope this helps.

Another alternative is to use a Phillips DVD Recorder. I bought a DVDR1000 at the same time as a Panny 42in 4 series plasma. The recorder has a built -in Nicam tuner, has SCART, S-Video and composite inputs/outputs for instant connection. I now use a JS VGA converter with it, and no longer use VHS at all.
All VHS tapes have now been copied onto DVD or VCD (For the kids)
The new MkII DVDR1000 has progressive output, and is currently software disabled for commercial DVD until legal issues have been sorted, which means it will probably be hacked very shortly, and inthe mean-time, the component outputs can be used directly to connect to the plasma for TV, DVD and anything else plugged into the various inputs.

See the DVD+RW forums for further info http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/forum/ikonboard.cgi

If you just want a tuner then why not a free to air digibox ? ... gives rgb out too !

Jon

You've spent all that hard earned on your display, don't get cheap on your video source, it makes no sense. An RGB source is by far the best, with a RGB-VGA adapter. S-Vid trails in 2nd, composite from VHS recorder is way behind. No matter how good at composite your screen is, it can't put back in data that's been discarded.

I agree entirely. Hence my reason for dumping VHS completely.
You can record 1 hour per disc at near DVD quality, and up to 6 hours at about VHS quality. The RGB output from the SCART works well with the VGA converter.
Even the VCDs created from VHS/DVD via DVD->VCD conversion on a PC are perfectly adequate, and at 15p each to replace when discovered at the bottom of the sandpit, are far cheaper than replacing the original commercial products.

Originally posted by MAW
You've spent all that hard earned on your display, don't get cheap on your video source, it makes no sense. An RGB source is by far the best, with a RGB-VGA adapter. S-Vid trails in 2nd, composite from VHS recorder is way behind. No matter how good at composite your screen is, it can't put back in data that's been discarded.
sandeepg - or you can use the RGB Input you most likely already have on your connection board. Nothing against RGB-VGA adapter but only if you need it. It is surprising how good an S-VHS connection can be but RGB is usually better.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom