1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCR and PC Won't play nice!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by queenofsog, Mar 9, 2005.

1. queenofsog

queenofsog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having problems trying to either capture footage off my VCR to my mini-Dv camcorder or capture the VCR footage straight onto my PC.

When I've tried to run the footage through my PC I can't even get the capture device to activate. I'm hooking the VCR into a Pinnacle DV500 and trying to capture in Adobe Premiere 6.5. I'm wondering if I need another cable or something? I have the red, yellow and white jacks connected from the VCR to the Pinnacle thing, and that's it.

Then I tried to record from the VCR onto the camcorder, with no luck. The camera is a Canon MV650i, for what its worth. I followed the instructions in the manual, and the camera is recording, but when I played it back it had recorded a blank screen.

I know you can record VCR into premiere, I did it on a computer when I was at school, but I didn't really take notice of how it was set up. I'm absolutely desperate to get this footage onto my computer, I don't really care how at this point!

Any help is much appreciated.

2. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Two things to check. Firstly, is the connection from the VCR that you are using enabled to ouput a signal? Most VCR's have a few SCART and phono sockets, but these will mostly be inputs. Check on the machine directly, or in the manual. It should say IN/OUT next to or above the connector.

Secondly, from what you say, you're using the phono sockets. If these are plugged into the VCR using a SCART connector that converts the SCART to Phono, you need to check that this connector itself is enabled for output. One's that come with Camcorders, are usually input only.

One you have made sure that you're using the an Output enabled socket on the VCR, with a connector and lead that is also enabled for Output, then you're almost there!

I personally don't know about the Puinnacle DV500 card, but if the above is OK, then I assume this should also be OK.

As far as capturing to your camcorder first, you need to ensure that your camcorder is capable of recording from an AV source. Again, because of cost cutting reasons which I won't go into now, a lot of camcorders will only send out video from their AV sockets.

Hope this helps.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,404
    Another thing to consider is:

If the VHS tape you are trying to capture is a professionally recorded tape then it will more than likely be protected with 'Macrovision' that will cause a blank screen on the recording, or even prevent the capture in the first place. This will not be a problem if you created the VHS yourself from a camcorder or TV program etc.

Mark.