vcd to tv - video problem

redbean

Standard Member
hi, hook my jvc multisys vcd player to a thomson crt tv. have problem with the video while in dedicated av channel. picture keeps scrolling, unable to hold. and only in black and white. sound is ok.

my vcd player has a 3-jack output connection. also can play in 3 modes, auto, pal, ntsc.

thomson tv has a 2-jack connection. no adjustment for ntsc or pal. but can playback ntsc.

i connect the audio using 2 into 1 jack and a 1 to 1 cable for video. has tried on 3 modes. ntsc does not work. auto and pal have the same problem as mentioned above.

tried to locate another channel with vcd playing but not successful.

need help to get video working.

many thanks.

redbean

Standard Member
hi,

i have changed my cables to a 3 into 2. the problem still persists.
sprayed cleaner into tv chamber. also no effect.

the black and white image is still scrolling and intermittent at times.

someone help please.

redbean

Standard Member
since the dedicated av channel does not work, maybe someone can help me to locate the av channel/frequency to be stored in a different channel.

i had done it with my vcr on and locked it manually to another location. tried playing the vcd player but just can't locate the av channel.

i do not mind playing my vcd on any channel as long as it works.

thanks.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
(a) Is the VCD disc matered as PAL or NTSC?
(b) Dio you know for sure that the TV is compatible with whichever format the disc is in?

The symptoms you describe sound like TV system incompatibility eg. Disc is PAL, 625 lines, 50fps, but TV won't handle PAL 625/50.

redbean

Standard Member
hi nigel,

my tv is thomson R20DG8RS. i believe it is a pal tv but can play ntsc as well. it has this 'ntsc playback only' printed on the chassis.

i was able to locate the av channel separately when playing my vcr before. thought this will be easier to do using the vcd player.

i have tried several discs, including karaoke discs and movies. same problem.

please advise. thanks.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but do you know for sure (e.g. by testing with other known sources) that the TV is PAL or will handle PAL - and do you know what format the discs you have tried are in?

I don't know the specifics of the TV nor your VCD player nor your discs. All I can say is that, from your description - it seems like it is a standards incompatibility issue. I can't really offer any more help. Sorry.

redbean

Standard Member
hi nigel,

in singapore we are on pal system. the tv works fine as such.
i have no technical means to confirm format of my discs. they all work well on my jvc multisystem tv.

i also think that there is some compatibility problem but just did not know how to overcome it.

thanks a lot anyway.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Well, my best guess would be that the discs are NTSC (or, at least, that the VCD player is outputting NTSC) and that, despite the legend to the contrary, the TV isn't coping with NTSC.

redbean

Standard Member
looks like that is the problem. i tried toggling with the ntsc mode on the player but there is no picture. only on pal mode that i got some distorted picture.

is there a non technical way to check if disc is ntsc?

i will probably get a dvd player now. it is cheaper that way. the china made ones.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
You say that all discs work OK on your JVC multi-system TV.

Again, not sure about the specifics of your hardware, but MOST multi-system TVs have a HUE control in their menu which only appears when the incoming signal is NTSC - not for PAL.

So:

First - using your multi-system TV - check out the menus etc for a Hue control when displaying a known PAL signal.

Then - connect your VCD, set the player to output 'Auto', play a disc, and see if a Hue control appears.

If yes - this would indicate that the disc is NTSC.

If no - inconclusive.

If your Thomson TV won't display NTSC, then getting a DVD player won't necessarily help - unless it is one which has full NTSC to PAL standards conversion on board. Note: 'full' conversion. If my guesses are true, the output will need to be PAL, 625 lines, 50hz and NOT PAL, 525 lines, 60hz (also known as PAL60 or Pseudo PAL).

redbean

Standard Member
hi nigel,

unable to find the facility you mentioned.

still unable to find a solution to my problem.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing else I can suggest, then, except a new TV.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom