1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vcd formats, all region dvds

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dood, May 21, 2003.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    A chinese video hire shop has just opened at a convenient location to me. I noticed that they hire out loads of VCDs. However, some look "original" ie the discs are printed and look just like DVDs, even stating that they have DTS sound (they don't!). Others are made on CDRs - probably home made pirate copies. What I have found interesting though is that on my old Yamaha DVD player, the CDR doesn't play but the "original" VCD does. What is the difference in the media that allows this? I know that some DVD players are sensitive to specific brands of CDR but I don't think that is the explanation.

The other thing I noticed is that the DVDs are all marked as "all" region. Some will have a region 1 or 2 logo and all region next to it. Are these pirated? I haven't viewed one yet but I have my doubts on picture quality and sound formats, DD DTS etc.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lots of VCDs are indeed originals.

Lots of bonafide Asian DVDs do show two region marks. For example, the Asian release of Along Came A Spider shows a Reg 1 mark and a Region 0 mark. This is to say that it is compatible with both players, otherwise less knowledgable people would assume that, since they have a Region 1 player, it won't play Region 0.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Then they are most likely not originals. Even pirated copies are printed, very common down here.
    Besides DTS I have seen VCDs labelled with AC-3 and THX. :rotfl:

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    First up, the VCD format does not (nver did) support any form of regional coding. All VCDs will play anywhere in the world. Nor does the format support any type of multichannel sound - only stereo (although a stereo track can be decoded to mulitichannel by a ProLogic or similar processor). VCD soundtracks are technically very similar to MP3.

Second - as regards VCDs made on CD-R blanks - almost certainly pirated - no commercial (or even a large pirater) operator would use CD-Rs.

Third - as regards playability of CD-Rs - you say you don't think that it is player incompatibility - do you have a reason for this? Most early (and some current) DVD players cannot read the data surface on a CD-R reliably (or at all). If you have such a player, any compatibility with given brands of CD-Rs will be by chance rather than by design, and you can't rely on it. Generally, however, such players WILL read the data on CD-RWs.

5. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Third - as regards playability of CD-Rs - you say you don't think that it is player incompatibility - do you have a reason for this? Most early (and some current) DVD players cannot read the data surface on a CD-R reliably (or at all). If you have such a player, any compatibility with given brands of CD-Rs will be by chance rather than by design, and you can't rely on it. Generally, however, such players WILL read the data on CD-RWs.

My old DVD player doesn't play any CDRs. What I was getting at is why does it play the original VCD? You may have answered the question if original VCDs are recorded on CDRW media.

6. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    VCD's can support multichannel sound. There is a special format of sound - however it is rare and the likelihood of the dvd player being able to use it is next to nothing - but with some research it is possible.

The format is a form of MPEG.

Edit: I may be wrong but this may be for SVCD's only and not VCD's (I'm no expert)

7. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think original vcds are pressed on the disc rather than burnt which is probably why your player plays the original and not the cd-r.

Some dvd players refuse to play dvd-r which is also burnt rather than pressed.

Vcd = mpeg1
    Svcd = mpeg2

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    dood says his DVD player doesn't play any VCDs at all, not even original / pressed ones!
    Perhaps it would help if he posts this question into the DVD Player forum, specifying the equipment.

9. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    No Reiner, my DVD player does not play CDRs. It does play original VCDs but not VCDs that are made on CDR.

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    ?????
    Original VCDs are pressed. They are not recorded on either CD-R or CD-RW. There is a big difference.