1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCD burning with Nero Express

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Bert Coules, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Rather a basic, low-end activity, I realise, but one that I'd appreciate a spot of help with:

I've been trying to create a VCD containing a number of moderately short .avi files: average length of each is 3 - 5 Kb. I'm using Nero Express, a Benq CD writer and a P4 PC.

The problem is that the software freezes during the "processing the files" stage - before the actual burning to disc even begins. I've experimented with different files (and different numbers of files) always within the limits of the discs, of course, and the freeze occurs at different places - once, at 99% which was somewhat frustrating.

My only success came when I tried to burn just two .avi files with a combined running time of just over two minutes.

The drive/software cominbation works perfectly well for data and audio - it's just the video files which seem to be a problem. Any thoughts as to what might be going wrong will be gratefully received.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Best advice I can give is DON'T use Nero's own MPEG1 encoder for VCDs. It takes forever and produces poor quality (unless they've improved it recently).

Download the freeware TMPGenc and use that to crunch your AVIs into MPEG1 in VCD compliant format. Then create your VCD from those.

HTH.

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
  4. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Darren,

I've been playing around with TMPGenc. I'm probably looking straight through it, but I can't find a way of selecting more than one file at a time; using the Wizard, each .avi file has to be added individually to a list (which takes nine mouse clicks and a bit of browsing) and while not using the Wizard does enable you to mark a load of files in the source directory, I get an error message ("illegal stream") when I try to move on to the conversion stage.

I don't mind adding files one-by-one but if there is a less laborious way I'd be grateful to know about it. Thanks.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

5. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I don't think there is, which I agree is a pain.

Something else you need to do is set the "Motion search precision" to "High quality (slow)" for each file individually. You can do this when you add each file using the wizard.

HTH

6. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Darren,

Thanks for all your advice. My first batch of files appear to have transferred very well.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

7. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Glad to hear it.

Incidentally, when you are at the "select source file" stage in TMPGenc, you can drag and drop an AVI onto the TMPGenc window. Might save you a bit of browsing.

8. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I use Gordian Knot available from www.doom9.org in the downloads section. All in one free software that allows you to create an Avi from dvd's. Excellent for backing up.

There are some useful progs there TMPGenc being a good example.

9. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    GJC,

Thanks for that, but creating avi files from DVDs is not what I'm trying to do.

Darren,

I have run into one snag (with both TMPGenc and Nero): a few of my .avi files bring up the message "cannot open or unsupported", even though the same files play perfectly in Windows Media Player.

Is there anything I can do to get round this?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

10. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Assuming these are MPEG4 .AVI (Xvid or DivX), the "unsupported" error can be corrected sometimes using DivFix from http://divfix.maxeline.com/

Main Concept MPEG Encoder also handles AVI files very well, and is faster than TMPGenc

11. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Graham,

The trial version of Main Concept handled the "unsupported" avi files with no problems at all. Many thanks.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk