VC-1 Mastered in HD DVD

shilv

I vaguely remember reading this a while back but have since been unable to find the article again - has anyone else come across it?

It was basically along the lines of all HD encoding that is done using VC-1 is first mastered in HD DVD. M$ then provide tools in order to convert this into the BD format.

If this is true then it means that there is a HD DVD master of all HD discs produced, whether they be HD DVD or BD. It also means that all VC-1 BD are simply ports from a HD DVD source. Will this have an impact on the future of either source as a number of BD have adopted the VC-1 codec?

Avi

Distinguished Member
I vaguely remember reading this a while back but have since been unable to find the article again - has anyone else come across it?

It was basically along the lines of all HD encoding that is done using VC-1 is first mastered in HD DVD. M$ then provide tools in order to convert this into the BD format.

If this is true then it means that there is a HD DVD master of all HD discs produced, whether they be HD DVD or BD. It also means that all VC-1 BD are simply ports from a HD DVD source. Will this have an impact on the future of either source as a number of BD have adopted the VC-1 codec?

I think this discussion was around Warner Bothers in particular who release on both formats. I'm not sure that all dual format studios have adopted VC1 on their BD version and I think BD exclusive studios are still using mpeg2.

AVI

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
There are others that can provide VC1 services as well as MS. An BD encodes does not have to go through the HD DVD route, one could be done directly for BD.

In theory a HD DVD can be converted to BD but I think it possible for a BD encode 'might' not be possible to transfer the other way if the rates exceed HD DVD spec. In reality even the BD only crowd, if they used VC1, then I think I would be amazed if they made an encode that could not be used for both.

BadAss

Banned
Its strange that WB uses the same encode for both HD-DVD and BD, yet Paramount encode HD-DVD in VC-1 but use MPEG-2 for BD.

If Paramount conntinue to use BD50's at higher bitrates then one day we might see Blu-Ray out shine HD-DVD.

Avi

Distinguished Member
Its strange that WB uses the same encode for both HD-DVD and BD, yet Paramount encode HD-DVD in VC-1 but use MPEG-2 for BD.

If Paramount conntinue to use BD50's at higher bitrates then one day we might see Blu-Ray out shine HD-DVD.

Don't Sony provide BD production services to Paramount ? If so it may be more political rather than for quality or technical reasons. ;)

AVI

A

amirm

We (Microsoft) have written a conversion tool that takes HD DVD VC-1 streams and reformats them for usage in BD authoring tool. This is how the Warner titles are produced in BD.

Unfortunately, BD companies did not consult with us when they created the VC-1 profile (!) and as a result, created a slightly more restrictive profile than the one in HD DVD. So occasionally, the studios have to re-encode the titles or avoid this syntax which hurts quality a bit.

As an aside, we created this tool at least two months before its usage was allowed in BD format!

Amir
Microsoft

amardilo

Distinguished Member
Are warner the only company currently using VC-1 for BD?

Does this also mean that Warner HD-DVD's are sometimes slightly better than the BD versions? If so I think I think I might as well just buy all my Warner titles on HD-DVD.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
We (Microsoft) have written a conversion tool that takes HD DVD VC-1 streams and reformats them for usage in BD authoring tool. This is how the Warner titles are produced in BD.
Amirm, do you know/are you allowed to reveal if Paramount plans to start BD VC1 releases in the future? Any idea what motivation they have for continuing to use MPEG2 on the BDs when they have a frequently superior (IMHO) encode in VC1?

mattym

Banned
Unfortunately, BD companies did not consult with us when they created the VC-1 profile (!) and as a result, created a slightly more restrictive profile than the one in HD DVD. So occasionally, the studios have to re-encode the titles or avoid this syntax which hurts quality a bit.

Amir
Microsoft

when you say 'restrictive profile' what do you mean?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom