VBR on Tosh RDXS32?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ace177, Aug 7, 2004.

1. ace177

ace177

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a dvd/hdd recorder. The 2 models that I'm interested in are the Toshiba RDXS32 and Panasonic E85. I have compared the 2 and the rdx32 is slightly better IMO. One thing that I like about the Panasonic though is that it has Hybrid Variable bit rate feature. My question is whether the rdxs32 has something similar to that where it can vary the bit rate depending on the picture complexity?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Yes. All DVD recorders have this to some extent these days. You should have NO concerns on this issue though. IMHO the Toshiba RDXS32 is probably the best there is at the moment.

The Panasonic does have some advantages: DVD-Audio (2 channel), 3hr full resolution (as opposed to 2hr 20min) and an 8hr mode. But to be honest these are countered by the extra authoring options, DVD-RW support and iLink on the Toshiba.

Ultimately you will probably be very happy with either model!

3. ace177

ace177

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I've read through the Toshiba manual and it has no mention of a VBR setting, but for the panasonic there is an option to turn the recording bit rate to variable or constant. I'm I missing something?

Also when you said that the panasonic can record in full resolution for up to 3 hours and the toshiba can only be done in 2 hr 20 mins, does that mean if both recorders were set to record at 3 hours the panasonic picture quality would be better than the toshiba since it is recorded in full resolution?

Thanks

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Not quite: the Panasonic's allow you to lock the resolution - the bitrate is still variable and cannot be locked. AFAIK the Toshiba has the same option buried deep in it's setup menus.

Yes that is correct. However ideally you will not archive more than about 90mins to a single DVD-R anyway (unless the programme length gives no choice) so this isn't a great concern.

5. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Toshiba's VBR is called High Rate Save -- it records at a nominal 8Mbit/sec but reduces the bit rate where possible (eg static scenes).

I'd add though that I can only make it enter HSR when using pre-programmed rather than instant recording. If anyone else knows how to do this I'd be glad to know.

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you turn on this HSR.

I only ever use instant record as I have sky+.

7. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As far as I can see, you can only use the HRS on pre-programmed recordngs, not instant recordings. Use the contextual quickmenu while editing the programming item (REC menu).

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when i go to the quick menu on the rec menu the only option I have is the elapsed programing option?

9. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You have to be editing the item first -- hit the Enter button, then Quickmenu.

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah, cheers

seems a bit daft not to have it as an option on instant record. I may have to look in the manual, oh no.

11. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you find it, let us know -- I don't think it's possible.