VBox XTi-3332 good for Freesat over IP?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Jaylist, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Jaylist

Jaylist
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    These any good for freesat?
    VBox XTi-3332

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  2. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    It is NOT a Freesat receiver - it appears to be a generic FTA receiver which will receive all the FTA channels (including the Freesat ones) but probably will not get the Freesat 7 day EPG. Freesat is merely an EPG services that provides easy access to the FTA channels that pay to be on it and gives info on the programmes on those channels. According to this site - VBox Home TV Gateway - Official Kodi Wiki it will NOT get the Freesat EPG but merely the DVB EPG data which on the Freesat and all other channels on 28E will merely be info on the "now and next" programmes - so basically useless for Freesat but OK for FTA channels.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  3. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,109
    To summarise. It depends on whether the OP really means Freesat or the FTA channels from 28.2E (and other sats)
    No good for Freesat but probably OK for FTA channels.

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    I have the Freeview-HD version. It's pretty good, it manages to record 4 HD channels at the same time to a USB drive. My LG blu-ray accesses the home gateway to replay on the main TV. The epg is downloaded from the internet but due to Huffman encoding no entries for the HD channels or BBC SD ones. At a guess the so called Freesat version will have some sort of epg from the internet. It won't though have accurate recording but does have a repeat record feature so this works provided the broadcaster doesn't move the time. On mobile devices the KODI pvr add on works well and on a PC there is a chrome add on. You can access the recordings and live TV from the unit remotely so it works like a slingbox as well. I watch BBC Breakfast on my tablet every morning and unlike iplayer you get your regional news.

5. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    The epg you get other than now/next is down to the software you use. The TVGateway pvr manager software provided for Kodi, allows you to specify a XMLTV file which is dowloaded whenever you start Kodi. Until the download is complete (takes a minute or so) the Kodi add on isn't available.

7. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    So that now makes it a Freesat bxo? What happens when the server providing the EPG shuts down - it has happened to me in the past with an Openbox?

8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    No one has said it's a freesat box, certainly not me. What you do is change the epg source in the PVR management settings. It's a user setting to enter a path to any suitable on line file.

Google xmltv source uk

9. Jaylist

Jaylist
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should confess it's one of the technical subjects I know little about. All we really want to do is watch BBC one HD/ BBC 2 HD and Channel 5(For the kids).

I've got a Panasonic 65DX902B (+ UB900EBK) + Lg smart TV from last year. Assume that both can let me watch IPTV? I mainly want it on these smart TV's , tablet access is nice to have.

So I need to download the programming guides from somewhere so that's it's easy to use? All I really want to do is add the 3 channels we watch to the TV channel lists. I guess having the EPG also gives it browsabiity .

I think that currently the live programs on iPlayer very patchy and not great quality hence me going to this effort.

10. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,109
    So plug an aerial into the TV and watch them. Why do you want to muck around with a non Freesat sat box at all when your set can already receive Freeview which has the three programmes that you want in both SD and HD (from most transmitters) and a shedload more.

11. Jaylist

Jaylist
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because my house doesn't have an arial. Just a satellite Box. I have the cables going into one room , but I don't want holes being drilled into the new lounge to feed the cables into this. So really this is an exercise in avoiding hole drilling. There's also a requirement for a further 2 rooms to have TV so avoids a lot of drilling. I mean I could pay it for. It's not the cost. I just don't want my loverly new walls having the external sat cables coming in through them. I read the reviews of the indoor aerials and most seem to have sketchy signals as well.

12. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,109
    Bin the dish and connect an aerial to the coax.:D How are you going to get the TV signal, either terrestrial or sat, to the other rooms without drilling holes? SkyQ is one expensive possibility.
    That depends on the TV signal strength in your area. Not usually recommended, but can be useful in strong signal areas.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  13. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,766
    Yes, terrestrial is what you need.
    Internal aerials are likely to be fine for those three channels.

14. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    How would you know that without even checking the OP's distance from a terrestrial transmitter, the transmitter in question and orientation of the location of the indoor aerial ? Statistically the chances of you being correct are slight :(

15. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    Depending on where the cables run you can easily multiplex a terrestrial aerial onto one of the satellite cables and demux it at the location you want (unless you have Sky-Q which complicates the issue because of the way it works). If you have the IP box it just needs access to your router (ideally wired).

First step is to identify what sort of Freeview reception you may have.

Enter postcode and other details here and post results.

DTG :: DTT Coverage checker

Given the results from the above then if one of the satellite cables is in the loft (or can be diverted) a loft aerial may well be practical), In most cases a log-periodic (small) will work. Given a freeview signal close to your router the Freeview IP box may be ideal. Without any details of where the sat coax cables go and where and what you want to use to watch it's hard to help any further.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  16. Jaylist

Jaylist
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to (am going to try) to put the TV output of this box over my Powerline 600MB network. Then I could with either my 5GHz wifi or fast powerline network access TV by plug/wifi. I've read others here have done that.

To recap my sat box goes into the other side of the house. To put it into 3 other rooms (one at the second floor other end of the house) would leave unsightly cables all over the outside. Hence me wanting to try this.

I don't have an internal arial plug socket anymore. And I only thought of the Sat cables when the extension was nearly done hence me not wanting anymore drilling etc.

17. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,766
    My statistics are based on the number and variety of internal aerials that are sold.
    I'd back mine against yours!

18. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    The number and variety of indoor aerials is totally irrelevant. None of them are anything like as good as a properly designed outdoor aerial used indoors. A tiny low gain log periodic (even used indoors) will outperform any of them. Unless you happen to live a very short distance (5mls or so from a main power transmitter or much closer to a low power relay, and the room you are using it in is on the same side of the house as the transmitter you have no chance (it's all down to signal level). Old houses with thick wall and new ones with energy saving double glazing and possibly foil line plaster board are a no no. Do you really believe the posted by the makers of these devices.

Aerial performance (gain) is measured by comparing the performance of a single dipole compared to the increase in gain produced by adding extra non active elements (directors and reflectors) which make the aerial more directional in a specific direction. Indoor aerials perform little better than the simple reference dipole.

A vertical dipole has a circular gain (equal in all directions).

aerial polar gain diagrams - Google Search

What proportion of the UK live within 5 mls or so of a main power transmitter do you think is a reasonable estimate. Of course the OP may be able to look out of the window and see a dirty great mast, if so then an indoor aerial may be fine, chances are minute that this is the situation. Without even asking frankly your post stinks. :eek:

Then we have the Forward Error Correction (FEC) used for the signals. The FEC used on HD to increase the MUX capacity makes the signal less robust, so while SD channels at the margin may work OK using a indoor aerial the HD ones may well be heavily pixelated.

Aerial performance (gain) is measured by comparing the performance of a single dipole compared to the increase in gain produced by adding extra non active elements (directors and reflectors) which make the aerial more directional in a specific direction. Indoor aerials perform little better than the simple reference dipole.

Loft aerials are a different thing, the attenuation of a single layer of roof tiles (approx 8dB) is massively less than a double layer wall let alone more than one. Posting such rubbish without any sort of additional information is totally irresponsible. Haven't you learnt anything in all the years you have moderated here ?

Basically a tiny tiny proportion of UK properties fall within the area that an indoor UHF aerial may work, what price your post given the above facts ?

https://at800.tv/guide/helping-viewers-set-top-aerials/

19. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    Be careful none of my smart TV's will work with the V-Box TV gateway. You may need an external box of some description.

20. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    iplayer offers up to 1080p50 quality depending on your isp connection capability and the device you use to view it on.

If yours is inferior you need a higher speed ISP source.

That's a higher quality or equal to any broadcast/streaming source other than UHD streaming sources. Freeview-HD is a mix of 1920 x 1080 interlaced or 1080p25 - both at 25 fps. Satellite is always 1920 x 1080 interlaced also at 25 fps.

Consider a cheap NOW TV box without subscription, these offer 720p performance. The difference is quite small unless you sit very close to a large full-HD TV.

21. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,766
    I've let you get away with several attempts at insults.
    You do take yourself seriously, don't you, with 30 lines against two?!

OP wants to watch 3 channels.
    I suggested that those requirements are likely to be satisfied by an internal aerial.

22. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Your Panasonic TV has a Freesat input so no box needed, plug a cable from the dish straight into the back of the TV. As for the LG without the model number we can all guess

23. Jaylist

Jaylist
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that would ruin it for me. I've got a couple of apple tv's . If they can't support I could go Android TV I guess.

24. Jaylist

Jaylist
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got Virgin 150MB . iPlayer on catchup is fine but their live TV suffers from issues compared to the catchup I've noticed (on any device).

25. Jaylist

Jaylist
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will try the Vbox and if that doesn't work . The TV checker thing says I get a good signal but I'm 30 mile from my likely antenna. EDIT- Nearest antenna 5 miles away .

As I've ordered the Vbox I'll give it a go. Otherwise I'll try an indoor ariel. Seems stupid we can't get a legal iPlayer like service for all terrestrial TV. FreeNet? Even Netflix UltraHD only requires 15-20MB of bandwidth.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  26. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,109
    Some people would kill for that sort of bandwidth.

27. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,109
    The OP has already pretty much answered this question. The sat feed is in a different room to the TV and he doesn't want to drill holes. OP has managed to fall foul of the PPPPPP saying if you ask me:laugh:, but that's in the distant past now.

28. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    If it's any help my LG Smart Blu-ray player works with the TV Gateway, it's also a handy 24p capable USB media player.