VAVA VA-LT002 UST 4K Laser Projector Review & Comments

Very interesting review Steve. Quite obvious from the details that this is still early days for UST laser projectors and that this market segment can only grow and grow. The fact that they are even having a crack at HDR at this early stage in product introduction is commendable. I will watch developments in this arena with interest. I'm specifically interested in a good 4K projector that does 3D bluray really well if no future 4K TVs appear with that feature. Surprised you didn't mention the Hisense laser TV in the competition.

Bit curious about the review saying you couldn't get the 3D to work? Was this followed up please as I've been looking at this projector to replace my Xiaomi, and would love to hear about the 3D. Cheers.

Very interesting review Steve. Quite obvious from the details that this is still early days for UST laser projectors and that this market segment can only grow and grow. The fact that they are even having a crack at HDR at this early stage in product introduction is commendable. I will watch developments in this arena with interest. I'm specifically interested in a good 4K projector that does 3D bluray really well if no future 4K TVs appear with that feature. Surprised you didn't mention the Hisense laser TV in the competition.
I didn't mention Hisense purely because I haven't seen it yet. I've just finished with the BenQ V6050, and I've got the Optoma UHZ65UST to review next. After that maybe I'll take a look at the Hisense.

Bit curious about the review saying you couldn't get the 3D to work? Was this followed up please as I've been looking at this projector to replace my Xiaomi, and would love to hear about the 3D. Cheers.
VAVA makes no mention of 3D support anywhere in its marketing, and I only discovered it because I found a sub-menu in the short-cut side menu. As far as I could tell it supports top-and-bottom and side-by-side 3D, but it didn't seem to handle frame-packed 3D. It might also not support the DLP 3D glasses I was using. I don't know what your budget is, but the BenQ V6050 delivers awesome 3D and is an excellent UST laser projector.

VAVA makes no mention of 3D support anywhere in its marketing, and I only discovered it because I found a sub-menu in the short-cut side menu. As far as I could tell it supports top-and-bottom and side-by-side 3D, but it didn't seem to handle frame-packed 3D. It might also not support the DLP 3D glasses I was using. I don't know what your budget is, but the BenQ V6050 delivers awesome 3D and is an excellent UST laser projector.

Yeah, I'd certainly agree that it's only mentioned in the detailed specs now. Odd.

My budget is around 3k, so excited to see you're looking at the Optoma next as that's the other one I'm looking at!

Thanks for the review Steve, interesting as always. One question I always have about these UST projectors is the viewing surface, we presently project (Epson LCD) directly onto a plain white painted wall and it works perfectly, but I always wonder if the very slightly Matt surface which by its very nature has a minute uneven texture of the paint would be an issue to UST devices as they are effective throwing the light at such an acute angle there might be (extremely small admittedly) shadows from the surface, I hope this makes sense?

I'd be keen to understand whether the 4k epson 9400 at the same price point, would be a better choice for an alternative or not? Appreciate it's not as short throw

Can this be ceiling mounted? Seems not all UST projectors support inverted operation.

I'd be keen to understand whether the 4k epson 9400 at the same price point, would be a better choice for an alternative or not? Appreciate it's not as short throw
I think the Epson TW9400 is the better projector overall, but it is aimed at a different market and uses a bulb rather than a projector.

Thanks for the review Steve, interesting as always. One question I always have about these UST projectors is the viewing surface, we presently project (Epson LCD) directly onto a plain white painted wall and it works perfectly, but I always wonder if the very slightly Matt surface which by its very nature has a minute uneven texture of the paint would be an issue to UST devices as they are effective throwing the light at such an acute angle there might be (extremely small admittedly) shadows from the surface, I hope this makes sense?
I didn't notice any shadows, but I mostly tested with a screen. I would say that to get the best out of any projector you really should use it with a dedicated screen.

I didn't notice any shadows, but I mostly tested with a screen. I would say that to get the best out of any projector you really should use it with a dedicated screen.
Agree “to get the best” of course, but we have found quite small differences between a decent screen and a good paint finished wall TBH, and it’s far easier to get a white wall past “household management” than fix another screen up “just to watch telly!”........so I take it when you did watch it on a plain wall it looked good?

Agree “to get the best” of course, but we have found quite small differences between a decent screen and a good paint finished wall TBH, and it’s far easier to get a white wall past “household management” than fix another screen up “just to watch telly!”........so I take it when you did watch it on a plain wall it looked good?
Yes it did look good on a plain wall.

Hi Steve, always enjoy your reviews. I have the Epson EH-LS300 LCD UST projector which accepts a 4K HDR signal and also accepts Dolby Vision which it treats as HDR and treats a 24hz signal as 24hz. It also has Android 9 built in and has alot of apps. Although it downscales to 1080p it costs under £2000. Epson also have it's big brother the EH-LS500 which is another LCD UST projector so like the LS300 100% no rainbows. The price of the LS500 is under £2500, any chance you could review any of these? These are the only LCD UST projectors as all the rest are DLP so gives an alternative.

Brian

Last edited:
Hi Steve, always enjoy your reviews. I have the Epson EH-LS300 LCD UST projector which accepts a 4K HDR signal and also accepts Dolby Vision which it treats as HDR and treats a 24hz signal as 24hz. It also has Android 9 built in and has alot of apps. Although it downscales to 1080p it costs under £2000. Epson also have it's big brother the EH-LS500 which is another LCD UST projector so like the LS300 100% no rainbows. The price of the LS500 is under £2500, any chance you could review any of these? These are the only LCD UST projectors as all the rest are DLP so gives an alternative.

Brian
We'll see what we can do.

I think how well this works will depend on how flat said wall is.

I think how well this works will depend on how flat said wall is.
Indeed, the actual wall structure is dead flat (brilliant builder/plasterer) I was more worried about the fine paint surface, like you get between roller or paint brush.

Hi Steve,

you listed a con to be “Possibility of rainbows”.
I also experience this after my medication, but don’t see it as a con.

I ordered the VIVIDSTORM on Amazon to use with the Epson EH-LS500 and I was very surprised. As expected, professional projectors should be equipped with professional screens. The picture quality is very high and it's a great time to watch a movie with my family
This electric screen just needs the press of a button to automatically rise, too simple. It doesn't take up much of my living room

I suggest you try it out and see how it differs from a normal screen

I think you work for Vividstorm.

I'm one of the crowd funders. The quality of image and sound is good when it works. There's tendency for the system to shut off all of a sudden or the screen to go red, flicker and then go off. Post sales service is not great. The post sales service is outsourced and the response is very polite but they do not address the problem or give you a solution. I'm waiting for more than a year for a replacement and they are dodging.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom