Vauxhall Zafira 2002 elegance automatic transmission problem

GalacticaActual

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

So , the Mrs Zafira is playing up again.

Its an automatic transmission , and every so often seems to get stuck at 40MPH. Sometimes 3 or 4 times in the space of the journey, sometimes just once while out.
Revs dont go up or down and power seems to drop. Then if you take your foot of the throttle pedal and then put it back down , the car seem to drop a gear and get going again. We have taken it to a garage and typically , when they took it for a test drive , it didn't happen.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be please?

Thanks.

First of all do the brake pedal test to check for fault codes....

Ignition off, press accelerator and brake pedal together then turn on the ignition without starting the engine and watch the speedo mileage window for fault codes to show up, if there are codes it will display them with ECN above....when a row of zero appears the code reading has finished...if zero appears instead of codes then there are no codes to display.
Look up any codes found on the internet.

When I've had mystery problems with conventional auto gearboxes they are usually fixed by changing the gearbox oil and the internal filter.

Codes are shown where the mileage is displayed, on the speedometer, yes.

If they can't read the mileage, would that fail an MOT?

I suppose a sudden loss of power could cause your gear box to inexplicably change down when reapplying the accelerator. Getting the air flow sensor sorted will certainly be a lot cheaper than the gear box :)

Garage looked at it today

They say code on the ecu is saying an airflow sensor

They can't promise this would fix the problem.

Is it a likely cause if the problem?

A faulty airflow sensor (MAF) could cause intermittent loss of power which would show up more so on an automatic.
You can do a simple test...unplug the wires to the airflow sensor, which is a plastic cylinder next to the air filter housing, then drive the car and see if the problem is still there, obviously if the problem goes away then you can replace the MAF.
If you buy a new MAF don't buy one of the cheap ebay ones, get a good quality make such as Bosch....they aren't that expensive.

Get the sensor changed still doing the same thing .

Any one how easy it is to change the gear box fluid on an 02 automatic zafira elegance?

May run some redex through the petrol tank as well to see if that helps.

Coukd it be that a service would help ?

Oil , oil filter air filter ect .... Don't know what else to try.

Hello again everyone.

The Mrs was out in the car yesterday and the breaks failed this time.

The pedell goes all the way to the floor and at very slow speed will still stop the car( like putting the hand break on)

The car still seems to have all the break fluid.

Anyone got any ideas?

I was thinking a match and some petrol, but before we totally give up i was just wondering if this latest problem could be an easy fix or if its likely to be some thing expensive.....

Thanks.

Sounds like master cylinder but reading the thread it's probably time to scrap it.

That probably depends on whether the seals are replaceable.

I'd also think master cylinder seals have failed. As you're not going to do the work yourself then I'd ring a couple of garages, describe the symptoms and ask them how much they'd charge for refurbing or replacing the master brake cylinder.

If you want to discover if it can be done at all then ring a Vauxhall parts dealer and ask them for a price on a master brake cylinder seal kit - if it can be done they'll sell one, if not they won't.

Back in ancient history the seals went on my Metro clutch master cylinder. The garage wanted more than I could afford to do it, but the friendly AA man who towed me home told me what I would need to do and that the parts were only a few quid. It's just time to strip down and refit the part.

I would strongly advise not to replace the seals!
A new master cylinder can be bought from ebay from around £30 up to about £90.
I would buy one with a name, such as Delphi, Lucas or TRW.
There are a couple of types so be sure to get the correct one.

There are a bewildering variety of options out there, but RRP seems to be about £200, although they can be had for as little as £49.99
I can afford to pay someone who knows what they're about now.
Especially if brakes are involved :thumbsup:

I think the thought line needs to be "where do I draw the line here" I think it's had it's day and even if you replaced this part, what do you decide to do in another 2 months time when you have another failure?

Ok

It's going...

Gonna get a different car for the Mrs to wreck lol

On the subject of the car though does anyone know the proper name for the screw or bolt that it attached to the seat belt fixings in the picture please .. I also need to
IMG_20190212_122129.jpg
know the size ...

Thanks

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom