• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Vaulted cellar soundproofing?

TomSweep

Standard Member
Hi Guys / Girls,

I'm in need of some guidance if possible. Due to a run in with the flooding in York i'm having to have a re-think on my cellar cinema project.

I'm after a soloution for soundproofing my vaulted cellar ceiling whilst trying to incorporate some version of an acoustic panel as I can no longer fit a nice thick carpet as was initially intended. I was hoping to cover as many aspects as I can... and the kicker is I'm on a tight budget so no £200 panel suggestions please

Cheers,

Tom

Cocksure

If you're on a really tight budget then I believe loft insulation (fibre glass) can work quite well when combined with an air gap and sound block plasterboard which is about 8 quid a sheet for an 8 by 4 board. Or you could fit more layers of standard plasterboard.

You could then carpet it with a cheap chord carpet (about 2 to 3 quid a square meter) for sound treatment purpose and so skip the need to plaster the boards.

Of course as their is always the risk of another flood :( you could use moisture plasterboard (though i would email British Gypsum/Knaff first) as it might dry out fine after a flood. I have used it for years in cellars dripping with water without issue, certainly mineral wool/fibre glass will dry out fine

Last edited:

TomSweep

Standard Member
Of course as their is always the risk of another flood :(

I have used it for years in cellars dripping with water without issue, certainly mineral wool/fibre glass will dry out fine

Thank you for the help, i'm thinking the sound deadening plasterboard is going to be my best bet and then clad it with some fabric or carpet.

Would you know if there is any flex in the plasterboard to deal with a curve of the ceiling?

I'm hoping the floods are few and far between!! my landlord / father in law has never known it flood before. Its either I bash on and do the best I can or I give up and use my cellar as storage.

Cocksure

Would you know if there is any flex in the plasterboard to deal with a curve of the ceiling?

Plasterboard has some give, but not that much :rotfl: if you try to bend it too much it will either snap or pull itself free of the screws.

However their are lots of different methods to do the job though.

1)Roan mentioned a dampen down method, i've never tried it so cant comment.
2)If you lean a board up against wall it will naturally curve over time, steeper the angle (to a point) the greater the curve.
3) build a form of the curve required and rest a piece of plasterboard balancing on the up most point, with light weights at each end of the plasterboard. The plasterboard will bend on its on accord over time to match the form.
4)Make groves in the back of the board so as it has give to bend at those points
5)make the curved part of the ceiling up in lots of thin strips of board
6)Lose the curve and instead have sections of flat board ie half a hexagon say instead of half a circle

TomSweep

Standard Member
Thank you for the replys.

As it stands i'm gonna batton the ceiling off, insulate in between the studs and then see about getting some sound blocking plasterboard wrapped round.

Wish me luck!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom