Vasectomy this week...

x3j3UKN

Prominent Member
Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek:

Seriously though it has been well discussed between my wife & I, we have two awesome kids with the youngest just turned 7. Feels like our life is starting to become a bit more normal and a bit less like we are in a whirlwind for the first time in 10 years so have no plans whatsoever for any more.

For all those that have had the op any tips you can send my way? best to wear tight underwear or loose on the day? I assume a pair of sweat pants is better then jeans too?

Also without being too crass, what about shaving? its something I have never done before down there and as such am a little nervous! Any hints and or tips?

The op is Friday so I may have a practice shave tonight and another the night before.

Use a sharp razor and take your time. :smashin:

Get someone to drive you home, go straight to bed and see how you feel in the morning.

Good luck :smashin:
The driving home is a problem actually... It is only a 10 min drive from the clinic to home but the wife does not drive... She is learning and has driven my car before so currently debating to drive myself or have the wife drive with me as the instructor!

When I had mine i shaved the night before and then wore supportive underwear and loose jogging pants on the day.
I had a dull ache after the procedure but nothing that stopped me doing a 3 hr drive home afterwards! but i did have the blowers on full blast aimed towards the area in question.

The most embarrassing bit was having my bits doused in iodine (like I'd peed myself) while some poor lassie is holding mini me out the way.

Painful bit was the injection, jeez that hurt, like the dentist's before tooth work but right into your tubes (wince!), the actual op itself was fine, felt fine afterwards until about 11pm when everything wore off and then I was pretty tender for a few days. Couldn't get that comfortable sitting or standing but that settled quickly.

Loose/tight nothing was that helpful, but you'll find something that works for you. I can't quite remember when I was done, think a few weeks after my second was born and I still occasionally get a tender nut about 18 months later but nothing that doesn't pass. Certainly doesn't impact on my life in any way.

*EDIT*

Driving was fine straight after the op (although my partner did the drive) but once the anaesthetic wore off I couldn't drive for a couple of days due to discomfort.

*EDIT 2*

Think I just trimmed, can't quite remember but carefully is the best advice lol

There is no taboo subject on AVF is there? :)
Don't drive yourself home.
If you need to, ask the clinic if they can help with transport.
As for shaving, lets just say that when another bloke has your balls in one hand, a scalpel in the other and then says 'nice job on the shaving' it's not exactly a good conversation starter.

There was a big thread on it before in GC if you want to read up on a range of experiences... :)

Shaving? Nope, didn't shave when I had it done. The Doctor said that it was not necessary and had a chuckle at the amount of blokes who turn up like bald chickens! :) I would check with the pre-op notes to see if shaving is really required!

Presumably it depends on the tips of op - a few members (lol) mentioned that having a random nurse/assistant doing the pre-op shave was the worst bit :)

It probably varies from clinic to clinic. If left to the day of the op the disinfectant will sting like anything so the night before is advisable :)

No request/need for me to shave myself either.
The nurse just did a very small patch prior to the op, all that was needed.
The sorest bit was the anaesthetic needles, they hurt like hell and I don't mind saying it.:eek:
Driving home was fine, given that I was still numb.
Back to work the next day as well.
Of course, I then got an infection three weeks later that resulted in immense pain and three days in hospital on a drip, but I'm sure you'll be fine.:(:)

I was booked in for it, chickened out when another guy in the village had it done at same place I was going to and was in agony for weeks!

Trying to find a local one that does the no scalpel type.

where they just make a pin prick and pull out the tube with tweezers?

Tight pants and stock up on Ibobrufen.
And ignore the smell of cooking bacon while they cauterize.:thumbsup:

ah yeah...the smell of burning flesh! Overall not too bad, nothing ibuprofen wont sort. They key is to take it easy, otherwise you will pay the price!!

Need to dig the pre-op notes out again but it definitely says to shave.

ah yeah...the smell of burning flesh! Overall not too bad, nothing ibuprofen wont sort. They key is to take it easy, otherwise you will pay the price!!
I plan on having a weekend of sitting on the sofa watching TV & playing Xbox, without getting nagged at for a change! I also plan to have the Monday off doing the same thing but with an empty house.

I happened to stumble on this little beauty just before mine:
Post-vasectomy pain syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia#and the story of a man who was driven to having his hum-laws lopped off in a desparate bid to relieve the pain but unfortunatly that didn't work.

But I'm sure you'll be fine. :D

I do sometimes get a twinge if I've been "exerting" myself, but a day in tighty whiteys sorts it out and it's never been as bad as to reach for the 'brufen again.
It's been 7 years since I had mine. BTW. :smashin:

I plan on having a weekend of sitting on the sofa watching TV & playing Xbox, without getting nagged at for a change! I also plan to have the Monday off doing the same thing but with an empty house.

Yes, this is exactly what I didn't do. I went to work on the Monday (my op was on the Friday before) and unfortunatly the activities that day involved a lot of squatting in and out of electrical panels.
That night I was like Buster Gonads. Quite swollen and in lots of pain. I was away from home too and feeling quite sorry for my self but I headed along to a 24 Hr Tescos and bought the affore mentioned tight pants and ibobrufen.
24 hours later I was sorted!

I felt a little discomfort, but not enough to stop me testing to see if anything had changed, I then had full sex the day after.. I shaved mine with clippers in the ward toilets..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom