1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

varying borders for different size pictures

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Spacecat, May 3, 2001.

1. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    does any one have a good easy method for changing borders for a screen

2. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Make the frame 4:3 out of 40mm timber covered in black velvet.
    Then work out a way to insert panels into the frame top and bottom to give you 16:9 or 2:35 ratios. The easiest way is to have 6mm MDF covered in the same velvet and velcro it to the frame.

Or make up some sort of sliding masking using the same idea.

Sharky.

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I made a 4.3 screen using MDF borders, i then screwed this to the wall. Then i filled in the screwholes etc. I then got some matt black "Blackboard" paint. To mask off for 16.9 get a piece of MDF cut to the right size and hinge this at the bottom of the screen. Paint everything matt black except the screen!. You leave it down for 4.3 and up for 16.9 etc. Not the best way but costs "all in" about £30 inc paint!.
    If you not using it for CRT try painting the screen area a light shade of grey ie Dulux Icestorm 5 or 6 etc.

4. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    thanks for the tips guys, i have decided to go a slightly different route, though it does incorporate what you have said.
    I have made up 2 lightweight rectangular panels 6ft long by 18 ins wide covered in black material. i will paint 2 narrow black strips down the side in blackboard paint.
    I then intend to put small black screws into the black painted strips at the position for 16:9 and the other variants.I will then hang the panels on these screws like i would a picture depending on what ratio is being viewed. Thanks for the paint tip fulabeer but sharkey told me that one a while ago.
    I would be interested to hear what your exact projector settings are though as I have a Tosh MT1z like you THX