1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VariVision electrol

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sanjuro, May 12, 2004.

1. sanjuro

sanjuro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Has anyone any experience of these screens ? i really like the idea of the masking/framing, would it be suitable for a Sony VPLHS20 as regards gain/colour/blacks, if not what other screens would be better/more suitable
    I am new to projectors so any help would be great.

http://www.projecta.nl/electric.htm#var

thanks

sanjuro

2. Otto

Otto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi,

I have seen it and it uses a matte white screen fabric with a Gain of 1. The reverse side of the fabric is black and is used for vertical masking.
    As in all situations with a low gain screen, as long as you can control ambient light, you get the best effect from the set-up.

It will cost you more than your projector though, so it's a very expensive screen. As it only offers the vertical masking + a remote for the extra cost, it's quite a lot of money for just these features.

Hopes this helps,

Otto

3. sanjuro

sanjuro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the reply Otto i have looked at your screens and they seem very good value,but i am a bit confused as to what type of screen gain i would need for a LCD projector what about a grey type ? is this supposed to give a better black level ?

thanks

sanjuro

4. Otto

Otto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi,

In general, a Gain of 1 to 1.5 is recommended for Home Cinema, depending on projector output and ambient light mainly.

As far as grey screens are concerned, this can help with blacks, but I have heard different results from different users. Some see differences, some don't. The way it works however is that everything you project looks darker, not just the blacks. Whites will also become darker, but as the main issue is often contrast rather than light output, the difference in whites is less noticeable.

As for the types of screens, the main options are:
    - Spring operated
    - Electrical motor operated
    - Fixed wall screens (some people have suggested ideas on how to make these on the forums, which you can find if you do a search).

Budget wise from low to high the options are:
    -DIY
    -Spring operated
    - Fixed wall
    -Electrical

If you need any additional info, let me know.

Otto