Various speakers "in the flesh"

GFS AV

Ex Member
Reaction score
Morning folks,

Yesterday I got to see various different makes/models of loudspeakers in a good hifi shop, from budget to high-end. This is just a note to share my thoughts, the reason being that I was amazed at the difference between pictures on the internet, and actually seeing them in the flesh :eek:

Firstly, I had a good opportunity to compare my own Mordaunt-Short Avant setup, with others I was considering at the time. In the window of the shop, my 906 floorstanders were right next to the Monitor Audio B2s on a pair of good stands. This made me very happy with my decision - not to say there is anything at all wrong with the Monitor Audio B2, it's simply the fact that in my opinion, the MS906 look far nicer. Although the floorstanders in the Avant range are quite deep in size, they're a lot narrower than other's i.e. the B2, which I think makes the Avant series look very elegant.

Now, moving to the opposite window, there stood the Quad 11Ls :eek: . These are the main reason if this thread. Just looking at these made me think they are well worth the price tag! The finish on these little standmounters is beautiful! They look a very expensive, well built piece of quality hifi. As you will probably know, the Quads are meant to be sonically excellent to. When I come to upgrade, these will DEFINATELY be on my list. Kazman... you're a very lucky man! :D

Just a few doors down there was another HIFI shop, so we went in there too. In the window stood the largest loudspeaker I "had" EVER seen in my life - A Tannoy something or other. Have to say it was'nt the prettiest thing i've ever seen, but I honestly did'nt think they made them this huge! All I can say is they seemed MUCH taller than me (i'm 6 ft), and I think they had a single HUGE driver - at least 15". Oh, and they were over £6K. :rolleyes:

At the back of the shop stood two pairs of even bigger B&W beasts. I think both pairs must have been from the top end of B&W's Nautilus range. These are a sight to see. :eek: All I can say is you must need some sort of mansion hall to accomodate speakers of this size.

The only advice I can give after this event is to try and view the speakers on your list before buying. Internet images can be so different from seeing the "in the flesh". :)

Hi
Thats why so many people enjoy going to the bristol show or any other hi or av show gives you alot more insight when you get to see and hear loads of products from high end to budget.
Not very good for the credit card though :D .
Cheers Gonzo.

Yeah i'd love to go to the hifi shows, but unfortunately only one of my mates is into hifi, and he's always off doing other stuff :(

Besides, the shows tend to be too far to travel really.

Today, I was fortunate enough to purchase a secondhand/used pair of Quad 12L in Yew finish (great deal and the seller is a great guy), to be used with my Quad 22L in Yew finish, in a strictly audio multi-channel system(DVD-Audio and SACD) in my home office. They are functionally and aesthetically perfect.

I've always been a two channel guy, but I want to give this multi-channel audio thing a spin. If I'm not all that thrilled with multi-channel audio, I'll just use the 12L in a different room.

I've been playing them continuously since around 12:00 PM ( now it's 6:50 PM ) and I'm simply loving them to pieces. Just like my 22L ...the finish is stunning, and the sound is absolutley beautiful!!

The Quads are truly superb speakers, and they play almost any form of music with grace and excitement where needed. The finish is fantastic in the flesh. The entire Quad range should be on everyones shortlist to audition for those looking for speakers in the relevant price bracket :D in my humble opinion of course :D

Was listening to some Buddha Bar CDs today, and they just sound so nice, a lovely holographic, enveloping sound stage, superb!!

Yes they are Kazman :thumbsup:

I was in the mood for some different styles of music.

Started out listening to the... Fixx- 1011 Woodland (2 channel DVD-A), when that was finished, I put in the.... Ray Brown Trio-Soular Energy (2-Channel DVD-A). Upon completion, Jean Michele Jarre's Oxygene 7-13 (standard CD) played all the way through.

Quickly followed by Mark Knopler's Sailing To Philadelphia (HDCD Standard CD).

Then various Classical music.

It all sounded beautiful :) :)

Which of the Buddah Bar CDs were you listening to?

Buddha Bar IV, I have most of them, and find the music very soothing, perfect for a relaxing Sunday evening :D

Kazman said:
The Quads are truly superb speakers, and they play almost any form of music with grace and excitement where needed. The finish is fantastic in the flesh.

But can you imagine how much better they'd be if Quad simply laminated the speakers and spent the (substantial) savings on better cross-overs & drivers?

Are you happy knowing that they could have improved performance, but decided it would be better spent on several coats of varnish? They know that looks, not performance sells speakers :rolleyes:

DT

Not trying to upset anyone here, just making a point ;)

dynamic turtle said:
But can you imagine how much better they'd be if Quad simply laminated the speakers and spent the (substantial) savings on better cross-overs & drivers?

Are you happy knowing that they could have improved performance, but decided it would be better spent on several coats of varnish? They know that looks, not performance sells speakers :rolleyes:

DT

Not trying to upset anyone here, just making a point ;)

Don't forget that Quad source practically everything (it may even BE everything) in house, therefore they can afford to add little luxuries like the seven layer laquered finish :D and yes, the sound quality exceeds the quality of the finish :devil: so I am VERY happy :D ;)

Kazman said:
Don't forget that Quad source practically everything (it may even BE everything) in house, therefore they can afford to add little luxuries like the seven layer laquered finish :D

Oh, I thought it was because they were made in China :rolleyes:

Still missing the point Kaz - what if they had spent the fancy lacquer money on even better components???

dynamic turtle said:
Oh, I thought it was because they were made in China :rolleyes:

Still missing the point Kaz - what if they had spent the fancy lacquer money on even better components???

I understand what you are saying, but this could be true of any speaker, they should have spent more here, and spent less there :) The way I see it, the lacquered finish is purely a bonus to the great sound. The fact they are made in China also helps keep the costs down :D The speakers need to look nice as well as sound nice, unfortunate by-product of marriage :(

The Quads sound absolutely wonderful to me, and yes, the finish is beautiful.

I know they make some nice speakers, but if I remember correctly, isn't Tannoy also made in China or Japan?

Tannoy certainly has a huge assortment of different models of speakers, in a large range of prices. Almost too many. I'm sure there are quite a few models on their list, which could use an improvement in the crossover, Drivers and other parts; as opposed to being spent on some of those groovy shapes and finishes they provide.

Not trying to upset anyone, just making a point......know what I mean?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom