Various Philips 963SA questions......

dynamic turtle

Hi all,

Just a few technical questions on this player, the instruction manual is not very helpful!

1) Is there any way of turning the display off? I was hoping the "sound-direct" mode would, but seems to only switch the video board off.

2) Some of my settings seem to automatically turn themselves ON even though I've turned them OFF in the menu! Karaoke voice and the digital output especially! Why??

3) I assume "sacd bypass" set to ON means sacd's ARE NOT converted to PCM?

4) What does "non-linear squeeze" mean in the progressive options?

5) There are two options in another PS menu - "auto" or "480P". What does the auto one do? (I want to keep it at 480P, as my PJ only displays 480p & 1080i)

6) I thought the 963 could upsample all material to 1080i? I can't find that option anywhere....

7) What does the "pass below black" setting do exactly?

Overall, I'm very impressed with the RGB & S-video output of this player. I was led to believe the 963's analogue output was its weak link? Looks good to me.

Re musicality, I'm not using the cd upsampling option (just to remind myself what plain-old 16-bit sounds like!) Sounds a bit brittle and harsh to me. I assume most of you use the 24/192 upsample option? does this make things sound smoother in your opinion?

No operational faults to report yet. Looks like I got one of the very few non-lemons after all!

Cheers,
DT

dynamic turtle

bump :D

Nic Rhodes

dynamic turtle said:
Hi all,

Just a few technical questions on this player, the instruction manual is not very helpful!

1) Is there any way of turning the display off? I was hoping the "sound-direct" mode would, but seems to only switch the video board off.

2) Some of my settings seem to automatically turn themselves ON even though I've turned them OFF in the menu! Karaoke voice and the digital output especially! Why??

3) I assume "sacd bypass" set to ON means sacd's ARE NOT converted to PCM?

4) What does "non-linear squeeze" mean in the progressive options?

5) There are two options in another PS menu - "auto" or "480P". What does the auto one do? (I want to keep it at 480P, as my PJ only displays 480p & 1080i)

6) I thought the 963 could upsample all material to 1080i? I can't find that option anywhere....

7) What does the "pass below black" setting do exactly?

Overall, I'm very impressed with the RGB & S-video output of this player. I was led to believe the 963's analogue output was its weak link? Looks good to me.

Re musicality, I'm not using the cd upsampling option (just to remind myself what plain-old 16-bit sounds like!) Sounds a bit brittle and harsh to me. I assume most of you use the 24/192 upsample option? does this make things sound smoother in your opinion?

No operational faults to report yet. Looks like I got one of the very few non-lemons after all!

Cheers,
DT
player currently not plugged in currently

1. no
2. never do Karaoke so have never played with this.
3. yes for better SQ due to bass management only possible in PCM
4. just what it say, NLS is the zooming of the outer edge of the video signal (l and R) to fill 16:9 screen with 4:3 input but keeping the centre the same.i.e circle in the centre is a circle but an oval at the edge. Best avoided in my book.
5. Use auto, best for PAL and NTSC
6. Yes but only capable with a non offical firmware, best avoided in my book as it is a bit buggy and gives you nothing extra. I stick with 22
7. Down to where black level is on a 0-255 system, pcs and video are diferent.

upsampling is a help with this player but you them get analogue output only. If you want 16/44 digital output leave it set off and use the front button as the most convenient way to engage it.

dynamic turtle

Thanks for the reply Nic, you've been very helpful!

2) Neither do I, God knows what its doing there....
4) I'll avoid NLS then!
6) OK then, best avoided.

I'm not using the digital output, so no problem there. BTW, I assume that's becasue SPDIF doesn't have the requisite bandwidth for 24/192?

Cheers,
DT

Top Bottom