1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Various issues with panasonic dmr65

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by superaffordable, Jan 23, 2005.

1. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Please forgive my lack of knowledge. I guess technology has advanced to fast for me and I am in a very confusion. The problem is that each time a mistake is made, it cost many hundreds of pounds as you well know.

the problems:

Despite I ask for a dvd recorder with hard drive facility, the store dependant gave me the above one that although seems great and have very good reviews does not have hdd capability

I am sure they would swap it, specially as I believe that I would need to pay a couple of extra hundreds, but my concerns are:

1 - is it worth it?
    I mean, I just want something that would be very easy and straight forward to record with, something as easy as using a normal video tape recorder. Will recording be very straight forward using the hdd if I swap the recorder?

I mean, currently, by reading the instruction of the dmr65, is like I am going to need a degree to be able to record and would not swap if the advantages are not going to be big

2 - in a different kind of question

I am assuming - am I correct? that as the recorder says dolby digital - dts, I will be able to hook the recorder to a av receiver and therefore I would be able to play original dvd's in 5.1.
    I mean, surely I will not need a dvd player (not just recorder) in order to be able to play back with multispeaker

Please let me know if I am not correct

3 - how about thx technology - the recorder does not mention this. should it? or is simply in the av receiver (which I havent yet bought) where the thx logo would need to be displayed?

Thanks very much in advance and would appreciate a quick answer as if I am going to take it back I guess better sooner than later

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Of course they should change it for you, as they haven’t sold you what you requested.

Only you can answer that, but some questions to ask yourself that might help:

DVD-RAM discs (any DVD disc for that matter) only hold around 2 hours of good quality recordings, as you fit more by increasing the recording times this the quality drops, in some instances the digital artefacts are worse than random analogue noise of a decent VCR. Is this recording capacity enough? If you are away from home a lot and want to record programs in your absence it may not be enough, a hard-drive recorder holds a lot more than a single DVD at better recording rates.

Do you want your recordings to play elsewhere? If Yes then you need to consider that DVD-RAM discs are not compatible with the majority of DVD Players or computers. The only option with your current model is to use DVD-R instead of DVD-RAM, but then you lose editing options, can’t watch one thing while you record another, and can’t reuse the disc again. A hard-drive will mean essentially you will never use DVD-RAM discs, instead you record everything to the hard-drive, and anything you decide you want to keep or watch elsewhere, you edit on the hard-drive then record that to a DVD-R.

There isn’t much more to a hard drive model, as it behaves like the DVD-RAM discs do, just you have much more space.

Yes. The recorder is just like a DVD Player as well.

The THX logo is normally associated with the audio equipment, and indicates it meets certain requirements for quality and compatibility, generally on very high-end stuff, you certainly don’t need THX logo’d equipment to get very good quality sound and picture.

Regards

Philip

3. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much Philip

I am going to take the dvd and exchange it for one with hard drive facility

4. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't get easier than HDD - most support Video+ programming - some even have 1-click programming guide

no routing around for tapes or discs with enough space to record

no routing around for the right tape or disc when you want to play it back

1st Class playback

Pause/playback live TV

Watch a recording while recording something new

HDD recording will change your viewing habits forever - just record the whoooooole world & 'then' decide whether, when & what to watch

You'll wonder how you ever got along without one

I have HDD/DVDR - so i can record to HD and archive to DVD - but if i was forced to make a choice between the two - i'd throw away the DVDR without a seconds thought

5. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jethro UK - seems like I am going to have to part with the extra £200 :)

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    £200 extra is too much. At AVLand the Panasonic E85 is £80 more than the E65.
    The Pioneer 420 (with HDD) is only £10 more.
    See http://www.avland.co.uk/products.htm

7. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One more question please. Seems that the dmr85 which is the only one I can really afford with hard drive facility, does not have dv input. Could anybody please tell me what is that for so that I can assess what I would be loosing?

is go to with plasma lg x11

Thanks

8. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    DV Input is for digital video camera transfer. The Pioneer 520 has it - also cheaper than E85.

9. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip - unfortunately is kind of late for that now as I already spent £395 in the 65 and I am sure they will only allow me to swap the product for a more expensive one but not to get the money back. SPECIALLY since I never paid money to start with. Just used a £3000 voucher from the insurance company as my old plasma went caput after only 2 years

10. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Where did you buy E65?

11. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks again - so as this does not really bothers me (despite I have digital video), I can just forget about it I believe?

see, what happened is that, despite I found other models, NOT all models were having progresive scan with component out and I wanted this facility in order to plug it to the plasma

I am quite grateful that you are giving me tips in other models but I am not sure if they will have these models.
    Anyway, for what is worth, just in case they have it, this is what I need - any suggestion with this in mind?

- Hard drive capability
    - time slip
    - at least dolby digital and dts out capability
    - component out

Thanks

12. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In currys - is because the voucher was limitated to simply currys or dixons

13. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you want those outputs then Panasonic E85 is probably best. Look at full spec on AVLand.
    It has 80GB hard drive, timeslip (all HDDs have this), digital audio out, component out.

14. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks so much again - as I can see you know what u talking about...could you suggest (free where to buy this) which decent av receiver could I get for say around £400 or less??

I dont need nothing particulary super great if you know what I mean but I rather would prefer one of this slim ones instead of much bulky one if you know what I mean

15. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    On Currys website the E85 store price is £100 more than E65 store price (499 vs. 399). That is OK as you are aleady using Currys.

16. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, just phoned them and you are totally right but they dont have it in stock - I am going to go elsewhere (same currys)

aparently for the money I was expecting the 85 I could even get the 95

You been great mate - thanks so much

17. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    e95 is discontinued - e85 they dont have it in stock - they have pioner dvr420hs at £399

I believe this is the one you mentioned earlier - do you know it - is it any good?

thanks

18. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've just done a lot of looking and comparing.

I don't have experience of av receivers, but I am into hi fi for classical music and The Gramophone magazine (sometimes regarded as rather 'up-market') recommend Sony STR-B795 AV amp around £300 - but this is not a receiver.

They also recommended Sony STR-DB900 receiver is £500, but might be found for less. It is 8.5 cm high and has 6 amplifier channels (100w each), Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound, FM/AM radio (30 presets).

Hang on a while and I'll look at some back issues of magazine and let you know if I find anything else. You could also try the Audio section of this forum.

19. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have 420 - it's a good general purpose machine. No component out and I think its Dolby sound may be limited to 'best' (most space consiming) recording mode.

Note: As Currys sold you 'wrong' machine tell them you'll wait for an E85.

Have to go for a while now.

20. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont worry eddyad - dont want to make you work mate - I was just assuming you would maybe know for good if you know what I mean

Is not fair you doing a research that I can do myself but really thanks anyway

Thanks

21. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's OK. Decided about the E85?

22. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes I am going to go for the 85 even if I have to wait.

Is a shame because I would have prefered the 95 for £599 but they say is discontinued

You been really helpfull mate

23. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when i was looking for a slim amp - i was told the majority of slim-line amps tend to be digital amps - but digital amps have crap sound quality

i bought conventional (non-digital) amp (quite bit bigger)

you can buy slim-line conventional amps (i think panasonic do some) - but there's not many around and they are hard to spot - often the shops dont know the difference, but you can look for clues

conventional amps are substantially heavier than digi-amps and always have cooling vents

24. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It seems the DB900 uses something called S-Master Pro which was in the TA-DA9000ES at around £2600. This was described as 'awe inspiring and breathtaking'. I think the cheque would have taken my breath away.
    The review of the DB900 was incredibly complimentary and said it did a fine job on all sources.
    Perhaps the sound quality is better now. BTW, I don't work for Sony or the Gramophone but I do trust the reviews in the latter. :D

25. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Sony DB900 receiver is available from about £350, Empire Direct at £353 for example. Do a Google UK search for
    Sony STR-DB900

26. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    um, in principle sound good size/price/specs - would try to see it in a shop because I am not sure about the back connections. I think it says only have 1 audio imput which if I am understanding correctly, I believe would make its use very limitated

Thanks very much for pointing it out to me

27. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just found one in ebay - brand new - that is going for £200 but even brand new price seems a good price

My concern now is: would I get a better one by just putting a bit of extra cash to it?

My other only concern are the back connections.
    Could you or anybody be so kind please to check the back (picture posted) and see if is missing anything that I could need now or in the short future

I cant see any scart connections but not sure if an av receiver mean to have any

I think I can see that have two audio connections and one set of vide connections (is this component?)

picture here

Thanks

28. ColonelK

ColonelK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AVLand's E65 price is ridiculous. I got mine for 229 from Richersounds

29. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Here are specs shown in Gramophone Feb 2005 magazine:

Decoding modes: Digital EX, DTS-ES and 96/24
    Processing: Dolby Pro-Logic II, DTS Neo-6
    Power output: 6x 100w (8 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz. 0.7% THD
    Digital inputs: 1 electrical, 3 optical, USB
    Digital output: optical
    Analogue input: 5.1-channel, 2 line
    Analogue output: 7 speakers subwoofer, headphhones
    Video inputs: 3 composite
    Video outputs: Composite
    Tuner: FM RDS, AM - 30 presets

When I looked at the pic I could only see 6 speakers. Maybe the 7 included the subwoofer.

30. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks - I bough today anyway the pioner whatever 502 s from Richersound for £299

I visit them trying to see the one you suggested in person. They didnt got that one but assured me that this pioner was pretty good for the money etc