various diy video cable questions

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Burton, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Burton

Burton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Planning to run both component and digital (DVI or HDMI) video cables through a long narrow channel in my walls (speaker and 12v cable already routed in the same channel).

With limited space/ access I need to feed bare wire through the channel and then dress the cable and add the various connectors.

So here is a list of questions I don't yet know the answer to:

1a. Can DVI or HDMI cable and connectors be bought for diy assembly?

1b. If so where, which cable spec etc?

1c. Has anyone done this already?

(fyi I am in the electronics industry so ability, experience and access to solder and some crimping tools etc. will not be a problem but the size of HDMI might be a bit challenging unless the actual tooling is used!)

2a. Where can I buy Canare BNC or RCA connectors (planning to use Belden 1694A cable)?

2b. If one end needs to connect via RCA, is it better to terminate the cable with RCA or terminate with BNC and use a BNC-RCA adapter?

After reading The Beekeeper's sticky I realise that only BNC is available in 75 Ohm and assume the BNC-RCA adapter will probably do nothing to help this limitation except future proof the cable for a BNC equipped device.

3. As there is already a 12v wire and speaker cable in the same channel will any of the cables be susceptible to noise/ interference?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. phresh

phresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'll try and answer three of those.......

1) As far as I know you cannot make your own DVI cables as it requires incredibly high tolerances, beyond those possible when making DIY cables. I can't actually remember where I read this unfortunately! I could be wrong still...

2) As for terminating the plugs it will really be a case of deciding whether or not your are going to need the BNC plugs in the future. The BNC>RCA plugs certainly won't add to the quality of the picture, although I doubt they would detract much (if anything) either. Personal preferance at the end of the day!

3) I shouldn't think you'll have too much problem running the cables through the same channel as it is only 12V cables. I would try and make sure that the cables do not wrap around each other mind.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    1a. Can DVI or HDMI cable and connectors be bought for diy assembly?

No and don't attempt this either, way beyond all of us if you want it done correctly

1b. If so where, which cable spec etc?

NA

1c. Has anyone done this already?

Nutter if they have :) and yes I also have access to this equipment :)

(fyi I am in the electronics industry so ability, experience and access to solder and some crimping tools etc. will not be a problem but the size of HDMI might be a bit challenging unless the actual tooling is used!)

2a. Where can I buy Canare BNC or RCA connectors (planning to use Belden 1694A cable)?

Future Film Developments I think, a quick search will tell you

2b. If one end needs to connect via RCA, is it better to terminate the cable with RCA or terminate with BNC and use a BNC-RCA adapter?

Terminate with the adaptor you need, hopefully it is is BNC :)

After reading The Beekeeper's sticky I realise that only BNC is available in 75 Ohm and assume the BNC-RCA adapter will probably do nothing to help this limitation except future proof the cable for a BNC equipped device.

BNC is always best, then RCA, then BNC into BNC / RCA adaptor

3. As there is already a 12v wire and speaker cable in the same channel will any of the cables be susceptible to noise/ interference?

1694 is pretty well screened but keep as far apart as possible, would 1505a be better for you here? I seem to remember it might be a slightly better screen

For Belden 1505a
    RCA crimps, part no: RCAP-C4F
    BNC crimps, part no: BCP-C4F
    Crimp die for ***-C4F, part no: TCD-4C

For Belden 1694a
    RCA crimps, part no: RCAP-C53
    BNC crimps, part no: BCP-C53,
    Crimp die for ***-C53, part no: TCD-35CA

Common to the above are:
    Crimp tool (without dies), part no TC-1

crimps are generally sold in 100s so you might need a reseller, try PJ Hifi MarkG, you may actually be better off buying in the cables made up and installing them as you might find your crimp tools not usable.

4. Tony_Anon

Tony_Anon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took this pic of strange interference I'm getting with sony davsa30 home cinema kit. I'm using JVC scart to scart for both video and audio. I've sent the unit back twice for repair. They're now saying it's interference and shielding problem and say there is nothing wrong with the unit.

Any ideas? You can find the pic at:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5862

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,231
    Hello all

Tony:

01. Image problem - looks more like a drive or convergence issue with your TV.

Burton:

02. Home made HDMI/DVI - as others have said no chance and what length of cable runs are you planning? DVI doesn't go very far without additional signal amps.

Your best option is pulling through an HDMI cable and then converting it to DVI at one end if required - though as above if your going very long with DVI signals you can have problems.

03. Belden/Canare - you need specific crimp tools for different Canare plugs. This makes it mighty expensive if your only making up a one or two cables on site - the cost of the crimp tool dwarfs the cost of a few connectors.

You may want to find someone who will hire you the crimp tool!

04. Incompatibility - Q1a and your FYI seem to contradict each other :) wouldn't you already know you don't want to use adapters where possible!!!

05. CAT5 - have you considered using converters and CAT5 cable - possibly too costly but certainly would give you thin cabling that's easily terminated on-site.

Best regards

Joe

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I have just reviewed a big pile of Cat 5 converters here and I am in the final stages of writting this up for the forum, I bought several even though I don't have an immediate use for them :)

7. Burton

Burton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All

Thanks for the info so far.

Joe

The DVI or HDMI cable run will be around 7m, I can only assume this length will be ok as others on the forum appear to have run 10m+ with success!

Contradiction...yes I know that adapters etc. are not really the way to go but I have no direct experience of BNC vs good RCA plugs/ adapters from a contact resistance perspective, other than the fact that BNC offers a higher quality contact configuration.
    I am also in the process of selecting my projector and was planning to run the cables in preparation and had hoped that I could use BNC but looks more like RCA at the moment.

CAT 5 cable & adapters...no I had not considered this, tell me more.
    Have you installed/ used this configiguration before?

Otherwise I will wait for The Beekeepers findings.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Dangerous, test first, I've know 5 m not work and have also heard of 20m! Anything over 5m is a lottery

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,231
    Burton

The wise man has spoken - get the cables in and tested with the kit you intend to use before you bury them in your walls.

We have used a few CAT5 solutions - though they have been of the 'Pro' variety and priced accordingly.

I haven't had much of a play with any of the 'affordable' solutions that are now on the market - I guess the Beekeeper is more up to date on this than I am; you'll need to offer him some extra cash to type that bit quicker.

Best regards

Joe

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    always open to offers :) In fact I was leant these devices to play with so I could inform the members about what they do, in the end I bought a pile of them :( Broke.......usual story, has to have another toy to play with ;)

11. Burton

Burton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Give me some idea of the pros/ cons, costs and depending on how my cable plans work out maybe I will be in the market to buy one of the adaptors from you!

Meanwhile I am looking to see if I can pull an HDMI connector through the wall. But, I have found very few HDMI cables available to buy.
    Who has HDMI- HDMI or HDMI-DVI cables available and what are the best cables - price/ performance breaks.

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Joe F is your man

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,231
    Burton

If you can pull a Molex HDMI cable through your cable chase you can pull pretty much any HDMI cable through as the connectors are all pretty much the same size.

Currently you have a choice of Molex (and maybe one or two other non branded) for low cost HDMI cables, BetterCables (mid price) and WireWorld (mental price) and lots of other just about to launch Gefen, Supra, Monster etc.

I have plenty of the Molex and BetterCables in stock if you require immediate delivery - these brands only go up to 5m for single piece HDMI cables and we use Gefen adapters to join cables to go longer; not ideal in your scenario.

Gefen, Supra and WireWorld go up to 20m in single piece HDMI cables - but best to sit down when you ask how much :)

For a 7m cable I'd suggest Supra or Gefen (both are due in stock by the end of June) will be your best bet.

With some set-ups we've had no problems joining three 5m Molex cables using our Gefen adapters and with other systems we cant get a picture with a 2m Molex - go figure.

Be prepared for a bit of trial and error - or be lucky and the low cost approach works first time for you; you'll want a dealer that's prepared for a bit of trail and error too or you could end up with a lot of unwanted cables!

Best regards

Joe