• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Varilight help - or suicide suggestions :-)

elmbeck

It's driving me mad......

I have just bought a varilight remote dimmer switch and have a problem with assigning remote codes from my SKY+ remote.

Using the remote in "SKY" mode, there doesn't seem to be a spare button - the best I have come up with is either;

1. The stop button - although if watching a recorded programme this will return you to the Planner when you turn the light on.

2 The green button - although when you go to planner or set the series link.... on comes the light.

Here's where I explain that I'm not a complete idiot (please prove me wrong) - I have tried using the remote in "TV" mode as there are many keys that would not do anything else. This is OK for just turning the light on and off, but not for dimming. I have to be directly in front of the switch for the repeater to work the dimmer function. (I'm guessing the Sonys key-repeat delay is different?).

FYI - I have a Sony 32V2000 TV

Any help appreciated!

ZippyCat

Your best bet would be to purchase the separate remote dimmer as mentioned above.

The reason why you are experiencing this problem is not all remote control functions will output a constant signal when a button is pressed. For example if you hold down the volume control on your remote, the IR emitter will continue to output the same IR code for as long as the button is pressed. Some functions do not require IR emitters to continually repeat the code, therefore they only transmit for a short burst to conserve power e.g. your stop button. The Varilight dimmer turns on or off whenever a short IR transmission is received, and dims whenever prolong IR transmission is received. Something you may want to try is temporarily program the Varilight dimmer to your volume control; I would imagine this should function as normal, but I can't guarantee this.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom