Variable speed limit cameras M1

jono987

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew how the variable speed limit cameras work on the M1 near Nottingham. I was going past today and was doing around 80. Some people say the cameras are only active if the variable speed is indicated ? I never usually speed but for some reason let my speedo creep up on the way back from Luton airport, roads were clear so I got a bit lax :rolleyes:

I have never been caught speeding so if the cameras had got me, would the flash have been noticeable ? You can't see the gantry until your about 50m past it.

Thanks for any help

I've seen people regularly blast through at 85mph+ on that stretch and never seen a flash.

I'm sure they at set to a low speed to get the speeders when the signs are showing 50.

Phew, let's hope your right! Obviously I never speed when the signs are lit up but I have heard it mentioned they can also be used to enforce the NSL so i got a bit worried:(

I've seen them flash many times even when there is no speed limit displayed. Future down the M1 just past Luton is another load, and I've seen them flash almost constantly....the way it's going I can these cameras appearing every where, must generate a fair revenue for the government:(

The last thing i read said that the cameras were only active when reduced limits applied.

Whereas on the M25, only a handful of cameras are active! Between junctions 2 and 3, and somewhere else i can't remember. Plus they only activate on speeds higher than 90mph.

A few years back my GF was flying from Heathrow when she phones me to say she had taken the wrong passport, and could i bring her the correct one. Lets just say i didn't have much time, so had to nail it round the M25 from junction 23 to whatever it is for Heathrow. Regularly exceeding 70mph, nudging 3 figures, but didn't set off any cameras!

I read somewhere that they're not type approved for the national speed limit, only for when the limit is lowered so you'll be fine.

I had one of the signs on the M25 around Heathrow change to 60 as I was about 100 yards from it. I was doing just over 70 on the speedo (68 on sat-nav) and everyone started to brake to get their speed down. It made me wonder how long you had before the cameras became active once the speed limit drops. It would be a bit unfair if they were instantly activated.

It made me wonder how long you had before the cameras became active once the speed limit drops. It would be a bit unfair if they were instantly activated.
Not a motorway, but a stretch of road that I regular drive on goes from 30mph to 40mph. A few years ago they used to have Police with speed guns but guess where they used to stand, yep, about a meter in front of the 40 sign. So although you shouldn't anyway, if you increased your speed before you got into the 40 zone, you would have been in trouble.

I read somewhere that they're not type approved for the national speed limit, only for when the limit is lowered so you'll be fine.

I had one of the signs on the M25 around Heathrow change to 60 as I was about 100 yards from it. I was doing just over 70 on the speedo (68 on sat-nav) and everyone started to brake to get their speed down. It made me wonder how long you had before the cameras became active once the speed limit drops. It would be a bit unfair if they were instantly activated.
There is a grace period when the speed limit changes.

• Yeah I got "slow" flashed on both M25 and M1 on Saturday and yesterday , so I'm either doomed to shanks pony or my rear can stop squeaking, because on all the threads I've not heard of anyone getting a ticket I was doing 80 max with no limit signs on.

The last thing i read said that the cameras were only active when reduced limits applied.

This is what i've read/been told too.

When the variables are not active, I've seen cars go sailing past me when i've been doing 80ish (Junc 25-28) and nothing.

If they are active you can rarely do more the 20mph as it's often like a car park on that stretch:rolleyes:

Weird system of camera flash though , slow illumination like footie lights coming on, of course your eyes are on speedo and rear mirror rather than looking where you're going.

I somehow manage to stick to the variable speed limit (and any other speed limit) on the M6 & M42 every day without keeping my eyes glued on the speedo or rear view mirror. It's not particularly difficult.

Not a motorway, but a stretch of road that I regular drive on goes from 30mph to 40mph. A few years ago they used to have Police with speed guns but guess where they used to stand, yep, about a meter in front of the 40 sign. So although you shouldn't anyway, if you increased your speed before you got into the 40 zone, you would have been in trouble.

There was a similar scenario close to me in south Cheshire where they used to lie in wait on a single carriageway just before the 40mph limit changes to national speed limit. It was made worse by a downhill approach. I've not seen them there for a while now but I'm always extra careful on that stretch.

There is a grace period when the speed limit changes.

I thought that there may be. It'd be interesting to find out how long it is. It's not good having lanes of vehicles hitting their brakes to get their speed down quickly.

Same thing on the M4 at Newport. Limit goes down to as low as 40mph at certain times of the day. When NSL is showing the cameras definately will not flash you, otherwise the Audi salesman would not have told me to 'for for it' when test driving a Q3 Quattro. Always obey the last order.:smashin:

To be quite honest when the limit is down to 40 in the rush hour I'm almost sure it's an aspiration and not a limit.:confused:

And with the rollout of hadsec3 much more across the UK all driving pleasure will be killed of very quickly.

Variable should also include upwards variable IMO. Plenty of time there is no need to restrict it to 70 at all.

I'd vote for variables every time. As long as the upside is circa 100 mph.

Alas, we have such a namby pamby granny state, it'll never happen until we change our voting habits.

Even the proposal to up the limit to 80mph was shot down in flames:suicide:

And Cameron said he would end the war against the motorist:rotfl:

I have a friend who works for one of the police control centres. (Yeah, one of those friends I hear you cry) She informed me the variable speed cameras are only switched on when there is a speed limit displayed. When the limits are not displayed the cameras are sometimes set to 100mph.

^^^
I could believe that given how rarely I've seen them go off.

Looking for some facts about the variable speed limit cameras as I was told that they only work wen the speed limit was indicated on the signs and believed this as I have been driving up the same bit of the m1 ( a421 exit to the the and lutton) and have regularly exceeded the speed limit as high as a 110 with no flash but last night at 0230 I was doing just that and got flashed just before the exit for the a421 and there was no speed limit on the sign so what is the crack am I screwed or ok

Bailiffs will be round in the morning!:D

She informed me the variable speed cameras are only switched on when there is a speed limit displayed. When the limits are not displayed the cameras are sometimes set to 100mph.

and have regularly exceeded the speed limit as high as a 110 with no flash but last night at 0230 I was doing just that and got flashed just before the exit for the a421 and there was no speed limit on the sign so what is the crack am I screwed or ok

That post from heathen666 may be your answer. You may have got away with it so far, but not last night.

Doing over 90 when cameras are around is asking for trouble. And at 110, its too high for a speed awareness course.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom