1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Variable slope and phase

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mooky, Sep 5, 2003.

1. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can somebody explain to me what the variable slope switch on my KHT2005.2 sub is for and also what the phase dial is used for?

I'm guessing the phase dial is more useful when trying to match the phase of a sub with large front speakers, something that might not be relevant to the satellites with the KHT's? Or is it used to try and cancel out room acoustics ?

Mark.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    The Phase is still relevant to satellite speakers as well it's not just for large front speakers. The Variable Slope Switch gives you a choice of how steep you want to roll off the crossover between the satellites and the sub and helps to integrate the two better. As with all things, try out the different settings to see which works best in your room. :)

3. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kind of understand but give it to me in laymans terms.

My slope switch is I believe 12db/24db. So at 24db how does that effect the crossover between the sub and sats ? Does that mean that at 24db there's more overlap between the sub and sats, as opposed to 12db? What does this do to the sound?

Also, for what purpose would I use the phase dial with my sats ?

Mark.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    The 12db setting would give you a more a gentle roll off of the frequency at the chosen cutoff point whereas the 24db setting would give you a sharper roll off. Think of it as a sloping hill. If you look at the link below and scroll down you'll see a graph of what happens.

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/xoorder.htm

At 24db there is less of an overlap of the frequencies as it were and can help to reduce boom around the crossover point.

The Phase dial helps you maintain the phase between the satellites and the subwoofer, ideally you need a Test Disc with frequency sweeps such as AVIA to help with this. Get the phase right (along with the crossover) and the sat/subs will sound like one big speaker rather than two seperate entities.