1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Variable Quality of Picture on Nokia On Digital Box - do I need to upgrade my aerial?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by kevtotty, Dec 4, 2004.

1. kevtotty

kevtotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I am currently watching X Factor (did I really admit to that?)

Why is it that some channels give really good pictures whilst others dont? :confused:

EG: CSI on 5 is usually spot on, whilst I'm a Celeb and X Factor are usually poor.

Would a new aerial improve things i.e make the poorer channels better bearing mind some programmes are fine?

Often different programmes on the same channel appear to be of different quality.

I have tried an old booster that I have, which made no difference.

Is it worth trialling a boosted internal aerial (perhaps from Argos) to see if this makes a difference?

My mate keeps on going on about 'high gain' aerials being necessary for Digital - is this true??

My Pio 434 is great for DVD's.

Any advice would be most welcome :)

Kev

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    The differences in PQ are most likely to be down to the bit rates used by the broadcaster and nothing to do with your aerial etc. This means that there is nothing you can do to improve the PQ :mad:
    The type of aerial required to pick up Freeview is dependent on the area you live in/transmitter you receive your TV signal from. Different areas require different aerials but a high gain aerial is more likely to pick up a poor signal. If you receive a good quality signal on some programs on every channel then there is no need for an upgrade. As I said above the poor PQ is down to the broadcast and not the way you receive it.
    Adding a booster will not help in most cases as you also boost the noise/interference along with the actual TV signal. Things like replaceing the coax with double shielded cable with no joints (ie a single cable all the way from aerial to TV/STB) are more likely to help than boosting a poor signal.

Mark.

3. kevtotty

kevtotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark

Its prety much as I thought - now I can tell my mate where to get off with his high gain ideas!!! :clown:

Since I know most of the wiring in my house has been split/reconnected/spliced under most floor boards :eek: ; my only choice would be to run a brand new cable from existing/additional aerial - and then the difference may only be minimal??? :(

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Agree, replacing the coax will not directly improve the PQ. All it will do is reduce the interference that is picked up. If this is not a problem then why bother replacing it?

Mark.