1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vapourware

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rigman, Apr 12, 2001.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    This will probably get me banned but here goes.

Do any of you remember the adverts claiming cheap CRT projectors for sale which were on this site a couple of months ago? They were due very shortly it said, around the start of March. I expressed an interest in this advert and had some email correspondence with M2N on the matter. I was also offered a Sony CRT from a friend of mine which was cheap but not as good as the Barco's which were going to be offered from M2N.
    I wrote to M2N asking what the chances actually were of getting a used Barco and was told that there was an excellent chance due to mine being the first email they had received. I was also advised to run all the wiring and cables to same time on the installation. On this information I declined the Sony and then heard nothing for a few weeks. The middle of March came and I emailed again asking what was happening and was told that there were two due imminently and they would email me later in the week with more information. I waited and waited and I am still waiting.
    A few weeks ago Jentz started a post asking for info on a Barco 808 he had been offered and eventually when asked in one of the threads admitted that it was being supplied by M2N.
    This basically says to me that unless you were part of the inner circle on this buletin board then you are at the extreme back of the queue for getting one of the used Barco's. I am not aiming any critisism at Jentz, I would do the same in his position and buy the 808 and I wish him the best of luck in both this and the purchase of the Rock processor I hope it turns out to be everything he dreamed. Who I am dissapointed in is the people at M2N and I have now decided just to purchase a Sony VW10HT which I will order in the next couple of days and hopefully be using soon after instead of watching my 36" panny and dreaming of a bigger screen (the money has been burning a hole for too long now).
    Good job I waited on the cable advice, all I have done is run the power cables and not the video cables as it could have been an expensive mistake.

As I have said this will probably get me banned but I had to vent my spleen. I would be very interested in anyone else who answered the original ad feels the same way. :(

2. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When you get the Sony, take a look at the FAQ at thebigpicturedvd.com web pages that are dedicated to this projector - loads of info from a very well informed group of users

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Hi Cossie
    I must admit - I too am a bit disappointed not to have heard from M2N recently.

Stuart was very helpful at first and I expected him to keep me informed.

Ah well - maybe he has been let down by Barco.
    I personally wasn't in the market for an 808 so its not as though Jenz has jumped my queue!

We'll see. I've got plenty to upgrade in the meantime ;) Although I know what you mean about haveing money buring a hole in your pocket. I've been waiting for a suitable projector for about 9 months now!

Have fun with your Sony
    Alex

4. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cossie - don't see why asking this would get you banned.
    Basically you haven't heard any news because there hasn't been any.
    The latest is that there are a couple of 700 series projectors - a 701 and a 708 coming very soon, plus Jenz's 708 now he is upgrading to the 808.
    I did not want to email people until I had ful information on specs and prices.
    I wish we could have had projectors come through quicker or more often, but getting good ones at the right price is (understandably, I think) not THAT easy or everyone would be doing it.
    BTW, there is no 'inner circle'. Just Jenz - who expressed an interest in an 808 waaay back. As an existing customer, prepared to trade up without auditioning the new unit, we felt it fair that he get first refusal.
    Thanks for your patience, and keep an eye on your inbox for an email coming shortly - probably Saturday.

5. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cossie,

I can understand the frustration but there are a few points I'd like to add:

1) Originally I was told by the Supplier that I HAD to go through M2N as they had supplied my original 708.

2) Then in a surprise to myself and M2N I was told last week that my upgrade could only be done direct through them not via M2N.

3) M2N despite my earlier post have not therefore been involved in my 808 upgrade at all.

4) My 708 was traded in against the 808 and as I replied previously to you it is was a non-negotiable trade-in deal. Which I do admit worked in my favour.

5) I do not know where my 708 is going on from there. I do know it is not going to M2N.

Regards Neil.
    p.s. A well constructed, well written, informative complaint is def. not going to get you banned.

6. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding is that we will have your 708 for sale - I certainly hope so as there are a few people wanting a projector, and yours is a good one.

7. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that is good to know HC Dude. It is a very good quality Projector!

8. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The biggest surprise to me is that HC Dude is obviously part of M2N. Have you ever declared that on the forum? If so, how come you don't announce it with a signature as all the other retailers do? This at least lets people know who they're dealing with/taking advice from.

9. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think I've ever given advice in the capacity as a retailer. I'm not really a retailer, anyway. More of a 'bringer of CRT to the masses' type wannabe. Aside from saying that LCD (IMO) doesn't look as good as CRT, I don't think I've said much controversial on the subject of projectors.
    Check my posts for yourself.

10. cussycod

cussycod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey every one
    ive just receaived an email from m2m.
    they are getting 6 barcos in whithin the next week they said they would let us know the full specs and prices by next week

know dowt you all will of recieved your own emails :D

great news cod

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: cussycod ]

11. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I too have received this email as I expressed an interest in a Barco several weeks ago.
    I like my Seleco and actually plan on keeping it - unless people dont snap up the "bargains" from M2N and they offer me two CRTs.
    I do actually plan on having two rooms as I have a DSPA1 and 6 speakers doing nothing since my Denon + KEF upgrade.
    I get my rock in June and have a Stewart 96" screen sat waiting for a new projector to complete the line up.
    The wife loves the idea as we turn my first HT into a large lounge with the Seleco and DSPA1 and I convert my games room into a more professional theatre.Hopefully

12. cussycod

cussycod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello jlcrawford,
    sorry i havent contacted you about having a look at your seleco(work and a golfing weekend)so if the offers still open ill probably get in touch sometime next week.

cheers cod :D

13. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi again,

thanks for the clarification on the projectors. Sorry if I caused anybody any offense. I should have maybe been a little more patient. I have not ordered the Sony yet and was wondering if all of my bridges have been burnt and if I would still be in with a chance of one of the Barco's. Obviously reading the posts here there are a few people interested and demand will outstrip supply with most people wanting Jentz's 708

thanks

14. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cod
    no problem just ring and you can pop over

15. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HC Dude,
    I'm not saying that you've ever posted anything controversial, or underhand - far from it. You're one of the more 'senior' members on this BB, & I've been reading your posts for a good while now. I've always found them interesting & informative. What I am saying is that, if you're selling goods on a regular basis (retailing) then you should be announcing your position as such. M2N are a company advertising on this BB aren't they? And you are representing them here? To be honest, I'm surprised that Spec & Jenz, who obviously have full knowledge of the situation, haven't insisted on it.