Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Vapochill - taken the plunge

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by CENSORED, Oct 22, 2003.

1. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered an Extreme Edition case and Enermax 550w PSU. Setup will be for a P4 but as an AMD man of some years standing I could do with some advice on the choice of CPU and mobo. I've been looking at a 3.0gHz/800mHz FSB CPU but there appears to be a bewildering array of mobo's that cater for this chip. Choice has come down to an Abit mobo as the logical manufacturer given that they are approved by Asetek, but which model? Memory will be a matched pair of OCZ 512mb PC3700 sticks (though I'm also looking at corsair) in dual channel mode. Graphics will be a top of the range Radeon (possible 9800 Pro stop-gap) and sound the ever impressive Audigy 2.

2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run the Abit IC7 Max 3 but I wish I'd have gone for the Asus P4C800-E which is £30 cheaper and has one big advantage IMO, silence. The Asus has a fanless NB heatsink whereas the Max 3 has a 4600rpm fan on the NB and a 4600 rpm on the OTES cooling system. They are the only fans I hear in my system and it's a bit annoying because my gfx, cpu and psu are near silent. That's my advice, go for the Asus P4C800-E.

P.S - I have an Abit IC7 for sale if you're interested.

Phil

3. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why don't you take the NB fan off and stick a Zalman heatsink on it?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IMHO the 3.0GHz isn't worth the price premium over the 2.8 .. which is why I went with the 2.8 on my P4C800. :D

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That still leaves the OTES fan which is needed, plus I haven't seen a review that says the Zalman is safe on a Canterwood/Springdale northbridge. I am looking into it though.

6. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking at the IC7-MAX 3 as this doesn't require any fiddling around to work with the Chill Control revision 2.xx pcb. It appears that the Asus P4C800 may have an issue with the cpu fan header where a system boot fails because the bios cannot detect a cooling fan! Info taken from the Asetek website. Since boot up is critical in many ways, all I'm after is a reliable system.

I've only looked at Intel solutions as there appears to be much more scope for o/c'ing than with an AMD setup, do you agree? I have an ABIT NF7-S rev. 2 mobo and 3200+ cpu, would these yield better performance in your opinion compared to a P4?

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With Vapochill Intel is definitely the route to go down, Intel CPUs have an Intergrated Heat Spreader (metal shield over the fragile core) which is virtually bomb proof and safe for use with Vapochill. I used to run a Vapochill when it first came out and the evaporator (copper prism which sits on the cpu) can easily kill an AMD CPU which has no protection over the core, with care and skill though this is preventable especially with the newer Vapochill design.

Performance - While AMD wins in the bang for the buck stakes Intel is the faster of the two especially the new "C" range of P4s. The brand new AMD FX51 chip is the fastest CPU around atm but it's extremely hard to get hold of and costs a fortune so don't even go there. In your case you would get a definite improvement in performance by switching over to Intel but it won't be a cheap proposition. I'll break it down for you :

Motherboard - Asus, Gigabyte and Abit are the ones to go for, prices range from £100 to £177 for the Max 3

P4 - With the recent price crash of Intel P4s the 3.0C can be had for about £215 now, with the Vapochill you'd get at least 3.8GHz out of this and that is very very quick. I used to run at 3.8GHz with my Prometeia cooling case and it was fun.

Memory - Corsair are expensive but they are reliable in my experience, you need ram capable of at least 215 MHz, that will allow you to surpass even 4GHz if your system can take it. Good bets for this sort of performance are PC3500 and upwards.

Max 3 Issue - Have you checked to see if the Vapochill can be fitted to the Max 3 because it has the OTES system covering the MOSFET around the ziff socket, it was a squeeze with the Prometeia :eek:

8. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apocalypse,

Shouldn't be a problem regarding fitting with the Max 3 as it's on Asetek's list of recommended boards though there is a fairly simple voltage mod required from the PSU loom to the Chill Control rev. 2.xx pcb. There is roughly a £40 premium for a 3.0GHz cpu over a 2.8GHz cpu, do you think it is worth the extra cost?

9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on what speed you're ultimately after, if you want to go as fast as possible you get the CPU you can just afford, if however you think 3.5GHz ish is fine then you could get away with a 2.6 or 2.8 P4. A friend of mine has a Vapochill and a 2.4GHz P4, he's currently running at 3.6GHz :eek:

If I were you I'd get the 3.0C as from what I've seen most if not all can surpass 3.8GHz when super cooled, you have to remember though that for a great overclock your ram and motherboard also have to be overclockable. The Max 3 is supposed to be good in this area so you should be ok, OCZ ram can be hit and miss but you should be able to hit 215 MHz on the front side bus with what you have. All you need to ensure is that the cpu:ram divider is set to 5:4 in the bios and you can sail past 3.8Ghz into the 4 gig territory.

This is the Max Series forum from Abit USA, great for overclocking tips and general help : http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3

Phil