• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Vanilla Sky blu ray

skull

It would be appreciated if anyone can confirm whether the recent region 1 release of Vanilla Sky on blu ray is region locked or region free. DVDExpress247.com have this much anticipated film available for £11.99 delivered. It's been a long enough wait as it is, without having to wait even longer for a region 2 release.

stu D

Had this preordered about 2 months ago from movietyme. Been patiently waiting for its release for what feels like forever! Gutted when I heard it had been put back. I had always assumed it would be region free as it was a Paramount release and all theirs tend to be. Plus with it being a back catalogue item I'd have thought it would be region free for everyone to enjoy. My preorder will just have to lie in wait another 6 months. Gutted. Hope the extra wait is worth it with the talk of additional extras and possible new commentary.

EDIT- just read the uncool update link which confirms region free. Plus a shed load of new extras! Hopefully my discounted preorder price with MT of £10.99 +pp will hold. I can see the price of this going up when finally released if it's now going to be a bells and whistles release instead of what was probably going to be a 'vanilla' release had it come out this month (pun intended).

One of my all time favourite films.

Roll on October...

Last edited:

skull

"Roll on October..."

Indeed. I've put off watching it for about two years anticipating the blu ray release, I may as well wait another 6 months.

stu D

I usually get the urge at least once a year to give this a re-watch! Just one of those films I never tire of watching again.

stu D

After several more delays, its finally (?) been confirmed this is being released in the US (region free) on May 5th 2015, complete with new extras, including alternative ending etc according to 'theuncool.com' which is Crowe's official website.

However.. there has been an early release on blu ray in Germany this week, although different distributors I believe, and theirs doesn't feature any of the new extras promised for the US release. And the reviews so far for the German transfer are poor - akin to a simple port of the old DVD transfer onto blu ray media. Fingers crossed the US transfer will be completely different. I've not waited 14 years for it to come to this!

Last edited:

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Hope it is as I wouldn't mind this too

stu D

For anyone interested this is finally out (released 30th June in USA and is region free). Waited for what feels like a lifetime for this. And to rub it in, it also took 2 weeks after the release date to arrive. But it's here now.

Been loads of talk on bluray.com regarding the poor PQ, but to be honest it's not that bad. They haven't spent any time on a full remaster, but it's better than the DVD.
Extended/alternate ending also included via seamless branching, however the PQ on that is really poor, but worth watching just to see how it might have ended.

Can't beat the theatrical version for me tho. Love it or hate it, It's finally here...

Karlin

Distinguished Member
£5.14

TZNwbsy.jpg

Not seen it in many years at that price I will take a look.

confirmed region free -looks a nice transfer.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Brilliant movie and Crowe tweaked it just enough not to be a carbon copy of the Spanish original Abre Los Ojos. Penelope Cruz is super hot in both films.

stu D

Great price. Mine cost £10 from Movietyme (us import) just before they ceasef trading! Still not got round to watching it yet tho! One of my favourite films and have been waiting for the blu release for what seems like forever!

CompleteControl

Standard Member
Great price. Mine cost £10 from Movietyme (us import) just before they ceasef trading! Still not got round to watching it yet tho! One of my favourite films and have been waiting for the blu release for what seems like forever!
Currently a measly £4.82 shipped from the wonderful AllYourMusic via Amazon. Mine's already on the way.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom