Vanilla Destiny to TTK. The tldr?

roxxor

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a love/hate relationship with Destiny during the vanilla days. I was frustrated to no end but at the same time experienced pure joy almost every time I picked up the controller - I just couldn't put it down. I stopped playing just before expansion I. Fast forward to today and I'm considering jumping back in. There's lots of info about TTK and transitioning from the expansions, but very little in the way of info for peeps like me coming from vanilla.

I had 2 near-max chars when I stopped playing (29 Hunter + 30 Warlock), with about a dozen exotic weapons and armour pieces. If I remember correctly, I had loads of unspent vanguard / crucible marks, as well as lots of unspent strange coins.

Are all these things now worthless? I guess my objective with this post is to figure out what is the first thing I should do when I launch (start a new character? continue with old ones?), and if there's anything worth keeping / preserving in terms of currency / items, and basically to not accidentally do anything stupid.

Any quick pointers greatly welcome! Cheers!

Keep your characters and continue with them. If you start a third you will have a consumable that will insta level you to 25 (once per account)

Vanguard and crucible Marks no longer exist, any you have you can convert it to reputation. Strange coins are still used. Depending on the exotic a year 2 version may be available to you to buy with the new currency (legendary marks) that replaced vanguard/crucible marks.

Its the same game but also totally different!

Your old gear will quickly be replaced by newer stuff as the light level system has changed.

Hi @roxxor.

I think the top and bottom of it is a lot of your stuff is still of value, especially your character progression, but much will not be. So if you are going to be frustrated at having to acquire new gear and level up then you may find it not so rewarding for a while. However, it was pretty much the same for everyone as our year 1 guns and armour were out of date very fast.

I would say give it a go. I actually really enjoyed having to "start again" with gear when TTK released. It is also worth noting that even blue gear can be highly effective in TTK, unlike year 1, so you will get some very usable guns and armour quite fast.

Overall, TTK has improved Destiny in so many ways, not just dropped a lot more content.

It has been out for a while yet and there is still so much to do and great changes to the core game have made it all a lot better IMO.

Seems like a good deal at £30 now for the legendary edition. I'm assuming it's still well populated as an online game.

Seems like a good deal at £30 now for the legendary edition. I'm assuming it's still well populated as an online game.
Extremely.

yea that's a good spend. game is as full as on release day.

Same boat as you, got a bit tired of vanilla Destiny inc expansion packs 1 & 2. Then let the Destiny detox kick and bought TTK eventually. Started on the weekend, pretty much all my old gear is redundant, BUT it's become more enjoyable for in a way starting from semi scratch and grinding the loot, upping my level etc. Enjoying it quite a lot.

The one gripe I do have is how compared to last year, there's a lot of groups and cliques formed, so I don't feel I can just invite or jump into people's games as much as I/we all did at the beginning without feeling obliged to say thank you after etc, and if I don't it'll be seen as rude. Although this is not the case at all !
I notice one person has deleted me during the detox period whom I never expected :( @Hands of Sponge (not you - but you who I'm on about !)

The one gripe I do have is how compared to last year, there's a lot of groups and cliques formed, so I don't feel I can just invite or jump into people's games as much as I/we all did at the beginning without feeling obliged to say thank you after etc, and if I don't it'll be seen as rude. Although this is not the case at all !
Feel free to drop in/out at your leisure. There is still an ethos in the Destiny community of playing cooperatively. It's all part of the experience. Members of the clans on this forum often join each other for raids etc and I have not found any of them to be cliquey and most are still more than happy to help out lower level players.

Same boat as you, got a bit tired of vanilla Destiny inc expansion packs 1 & 2. Then let the Destiny detox kick and bought TTK eventually. Started on the weekend, pretty much all my old gear is redundant, BUT it's become more enjoyable for in a way starting from semi scratch and grinding the loot, upping my level etc. Enjoying it quite a lot.

I notice one person has deleted me during the detox period whom I never expected :( @Hands of Sponge (not you - but you who I'm on about !)
Yeah I keep trying to delete you, but you just won't go away! ;)

Like Daf said, even though everyone has clanned up, its all pretty incestuous. Everyone still plays with each other, I've raided with the marpuppets, Babooshkas and had an invite from F.F.S guys in the last week or so.

I have a pretty open relationship with my clan as long as I turn up for any pre-arranged raids etc, I can sleep play with anyone and everyone!

Yeah I keep trying to delete you, but you just won't go away! ;)

Like Daf said, even though everyone has clanned up, its all pretty incestuous. Everyone still plays with each other, I've raided with the marpuppets, Babooshkas and had an invite from F.F.S guys in the last week or so.

I have a pretty open relationship with my clan as long as I turn up for any pre-arranged raids etc, I can sleep play with anyone and everyone!

Whaaaaaaat? I thought we were your exclusive thing on the side [emoji30] You're dead to me Jon Snow!

Yeh I don't think I'll be joining any clans this time as know some people get touchy if I wanna freestyle raid and @Hands of Sponge this time no cyber bullying into joining the Alliance either ! :p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom