1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VanDamme or BetterCable

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by HouseofMu, Nov 26, 2002.

1. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm soonto be investing a large amount (to me) in a £6/7k projector (inFocus 7200 hopefully) and am wanting to connect it up with some decent component cable (5m RCA/RCA)

There is quite a price difference, £140 (incl shipping) for the BetterCables 'SilverSerpent' and £50 from tmfsolutions for the VanDamme. I get the impression that they're both good quality but can anybody reason that the 'SilverSerpent' is worth the extra?

I don't mind paying the extra if its worth it, after all its a small outlay compared to the projector, but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't being sold on the PR of 'silver / timings' etc ?

Would I be better off with BetterCables 'SilverSerpent' or save the money for VanDamme?

Any input would be appreciated.

n.

2. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I can recommend the Silver Serpent, HOWEVER don't forget to factor in import duty and VAT onto the price quoted. This can add quite a bit :eek:

Any idea where you'll be getting the 7200 from?

3. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'd forgotten about Import Duty, that pushes the price up again. (percentage ??).

Have you imported some SilverSerpents yourself, why did you choose those over others?

CSE are the sole distibuters of the 7200 for InFocus, you'd have to ring em to find out your nearest shop they supply to.

Try them on 01423 359054.
    9th Dec was the release date I was given. but I'm only buying it after a demo and positive feedback.

n.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Import duty and VAT on top of that makes a big difference, pushing 30% as I recall, bought a harken roller reefing for my boat earlier this year - ouch!

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Joe, Gordon and Roland can all supply very similar cables to this at probably less money, why not use them? Gordon has some REALLY classy cables on his site.

6. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Having coughed up almost £200 for a BetterCables 8m component-component cable, I was rather miffed when I purchased a longer VanDamme version at well less than half that price only to find that I could tell no difference between it and the the Bettercable version (on a Barco CRT projector!).

I now only buy VanDamme cables for my setup. Get them from here - http://www.vdctrading.com/frameset.asp

VDC will suply ready-made or custom cables at a fraction of the Bettercables price and are easily equally as good and are all high quality. They supply miles of these cables to professional broadcasters so the prices are low simply because they sell so much - highly recommended!
    Paul

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I use Van Damme and can say they are very good.

The only real benefit if applicable would be using BNC connections for long term integrity rather than RCA if possible. Otherwise I wouldn't worry.

8. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks all for you input, sounds like I'll get better value for money with the VanDamme.

Will VDC terminate the cables too, I thought they just supplied custom cable lengths off the roll?

n.

9. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi HouseofMu
    VDC will terminate your cables, check their site and just
    choose the cables & connections you want and they make them up.
    VDC trading are based near Kings Cross (London) I went there to order mine and just picked them up the next day.:) First class service

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    The VanDamme mini multicore cable is,and I'm pretty sure about this, the same as Ixos 110av cable except Ixos is green, van damme is maroon. Both are made in same factory in far east. At least the packing they come in suggest that...and they look stunningly identical. I do not know which is more expensive but it might be worth checking Ixos pricing to see if it saves you. I'd expect Van Damme to e more though.

Beekeeper. The nutter Klotz stuff is all but gone. My supplier no longer keeps it as a stock item so special ordering it costs. I have spent a while looking in to alternative's that are easier to work with and offer superior performance. I am currently impressed with a Belden model.

Gordon

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Always a Belden fan, have reels of RG59 and RG6 quality stuff, If you ever want some to try let me know. Still interested in the 6 core RG 6 though.

12. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    if I may but in.

I am currently using some cheap (£5) component leans bought from a computer fair.

Will I notice much improvement if I go for Van Damme multi core?

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The cables from the computer fair are actually quite decent (I have loads!). They are generally made with RG59. This is cheap and really decent quality (remember the 29p coax threads!). The plugs do leave much to be desired however but very few bother with proper termination even in the van damm field. Look to 'proper' 75 ohm BNC or Canare RCAs for the only genuine 75 ohm RCA Plug. It is the best you can do but remember the RCA sockets are not 75 Ohm!

small differences maybe but not as much as you would think!

14. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Gordon,

About the cable that you say is the same as the VanDamme, are you referring to the VanDamme 'red series' or standard stuff ?

As an experienced installer of projectors, what component cable would you recommend (if not VanDamme)? (please PM me if this question breaks forum rules).

I see vdctrading.com have, what appear to be, some high quality phonos (Neutrik profi @ £10+ per pair) are these a suitable RCA terminators ?

thanks

n.

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I think it's the better Van Dame stuff. Ask Roland. He did an installation with me and supplied the van damme cable. I was surprised to see it on same drum an dfrom same box as Ixos stuff comes in/on. Looked at a slice through it and it looks the same as Ixos110av mini 75ohm multi-core

Gordon

PM rest

16. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would like to know the answer to the above as well. The Van Dame component cable is £54 for 5m . So 10x as expensive.

17. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
  18. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Found these cables at

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/superior_leads.htm

Pro Class Home Theatre, 3 phono to 3 phono digital quality lead. High density double shielding, extruded plug for kink strain relief, top grade PE insulator for optimised capacitor values, 24k hard gold plated plugs and oxygen free cable. Great for DVD, high grade Hi-fi and Home Cinema

Would there be a significant picture quality loss using the above as opposed to Van Damme . They cost about 1/3 less

19. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The possible problem with those leads is that I think 2 are for audio and i for composite video.

This is my query coz my £5 set is 2 audio and 1 video. The audio leads and 1/2 the thickness of the video. Surely quality should suffer?

20. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    The thickness isn't a sign of quality.

Audio cables are generally low loss 50 ohm microphone cable. Video cables should not be low loss 50 ohm microphone cable.

Gordon