1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Van Den Hul - The First Ultimate or The Second

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by MJeeves, Oct 12, 2004.

1. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    O.K. I wanna connect my tube based CD player and my DVD player to my high-end tune pre-amp. I love the Van Den Hul cables and most of my system is made up of their cables.

My question is which one is better:

The First Ultimate or The Second???

I like a detailed and open sound that is smooth and doesn't exhibit any brightness at all. Please note that some of my equipment has vacuum tubes and I want to avoid hum.

Thank you for your assistance.

M.J.

2. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Anyone?

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The First "Metal screen" would be a better option
    This is an excerpt from www.vandenhul.com
    "The major difference between the members of our “The FIRST ®” series is their shield series resistance; Our The FIRST ®, The FIRST ® Ultimate and The FIRST ® Metal Screen progressively exhibit a lower shield resistance. (Respectively: ~14, ~4.8 and 0.0049 Ohm/m.).
    Although both first mentioned 100% metal free versions perform hum and noise free in more than 95% of all line level interconnect applications, The FIRST ® Metal Screen with its lowest shield resistance has been specially designed for those situations where excessive ground currents flowing through the cable shield are present (e.g. with some tube equipment), in complex grounding situations and/or where extra shielding against strong external electrical interference is required (e.g. in highly electrical noise polluted areas)."
    About £175 for 0.8m.