• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

van den Hul HDMI HQ Cable & Sony KDL 40V4000....

Louis Cronin

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I have just bought a van den Hul HDMI HQ cable off eBay, its an ex-display and i paid £40 which i thought was quite a good price. They usually go for £110.

The cable i have connecting my Sony BDP-350 and Sony KDL 40V4000 is a Phillips cable i bought from Tesco for £19.99

I cannot see a difference at all! Everything is exactly the same. I then dug out a £2.99 HDMI cable i bought from the market a while ago and put that in. It was exactly the same picture as both the others!!!!

How are companies getting away with selling £100 cable to the public?

Just thought i would share my experience with you guys just incase you were off to Currys today to part with your hard earned cash.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
How are companies getting away with selling £100 cable to the public?

because they can,and because joe public doesnt know any better(in a vast majority of cases),and because of the way they are marketed by companies,and also that more £ must mean better!..
what i tend to do when overhearing of conversations in currys, et al, is to interject and state that a £70 cable isnt needed,and point them to where they can get a cheap one, although that doesnt go down to well with the assistants,:rotfl: but in most cases,the tripe they spout,im surprised people still listen to shop assistants..

mike7

Distinguished Member
With the falling profit margins on selling the TV sets and the reluctance of people to be drawn into overpriced service contracts the sales of expensive cables is probably a good way for some retailers to recoup their profits. For a small run,from the back of the telly to a piece of equipment mounted underneath it, a modestly priced HDMI lead is perfectly OK.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom